Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

focusing the reticle

Old 08-13-2006, 02:44 PM

Default focusing the reticle

I have a leupold vx 3 on me gun. It is my first hunting rifle. I am having a hell of a time focusing the reticle. I hold it up to the sky I don't really see any differance unless I dial it counter clockwise ALOT. I look at light colored areas, My problem is it seems like it is always the same. Do I have an eye problem?? I have good vision and don't wear glasses. I have the eyepiece locked all the way clockwise and I "belive" that this may be where I need it but I'm not so sure. Anyone else go through this???
Old 08-13-2006, 03:33 PM

Default RE: focusing the reticle

Check the eye relief. You may have to have the scope adjusted to fit they way you hold the rifle. Are you looking through the rifle with your dominate eye? If you don't know make a diamond shape with you hands index to index and thumb to thumb, with both eyes open focus on an object, then without moving your hands close one eye. If you can see it that is your dominate eye, if you can't open that eye and close the other. Which ever one you see it with is your dominate eye.

Also try using a patch on your non shooting eye and don't close either when you shoot. I always shoot with both eyes open, and I don't use an eye patch.

I hope this helps, if not post again and we'll try something else.
Old 08-13-2006, 04:50 PM

That's the otherthing I was wondering about, I'm right handed but left eye dominant and I have a right hand rifle[:-]
Old 08-13-2006, 04:59 PM

Try using a patch. My dad shot left handed with a right handed rifle and was right eye dominate. We had several people in the Marines that were this was as well. They gave them a patch to use (looked like a bunch of pirates walking around there), you may want to look into that. I bet that is what your issue is, should be easily fixed.