Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Wool Clothing

Old 06-12-2006, 12:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Wool Clothing

I'm looking into some new wool for cold weather gear for the New England winters and my upcoming Canadian hunt.
Does anyone have any suggestions on any particular brands / styles? I currently have some old Codet pants and jacket that are pretty well worn. I was looking into the Weatherby line and the Beagle wear.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks All!
Old 06-12-2006, 01:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Wool Clothing

Don't get me wrong, I think wool is great and ai use it a lot. just not for hunting fishing skiing or any other active sports. I think many of the new synthetics are better at wicking perspiraton and keeping you dry! In addition to this wool tends to hold in odors rather well and is more difficult to launder and keep scent free. I know it's been used for eons but I believe the new synthetics are much better.
Old 06-12-2006, 05:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I live in northern Alberta and I do not own any wool clothing.I use polypropylene as an underlayer,then layers of polarfleece,then a goretex shell.This combination is very warm and is waterproof and windproof.
Old 06-12-2006, 06:13 PM
Typical Buck

I use Johnson Mills pants from Johnson, VT and a Filson Makinaw jacket. Long underwear and a long sleeve t-shirt will treat me real good for the entire season here in southern Quebec where it might get to -20 C at the coldest. Stationary hunting, I tend to layer up a little more maybe with an extra wool shirt underneath.

Depending on why you are going wool, I would tend away from the stuff sold in Cabelas. Like all the synthetic materials I have seen; it's just too damn loud.

Good luck,
Old 06-12-2006, 08:50 PM

gore-tex, polypropalene, and the like are great.

but sometimes wool gets it done second ta none.

my wool garments are either rag wool or second hand surplus type stuff. as long as the tag say's 100% wool it works.

early
Old 06-12-2006, 09:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Would love to own a quality set. Some day maybe. There are some popular ones why didn't you mention them? Can't remember the names but there's that indian one and another. Honestly never heard of the one's you mentioned. Have to look into those.

Old 06-13-2006, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've got a Beagle Wear jacket that is very nice. Product of Vermont. Price wasn't that bad either. I just love wool for those late season cold days! Good luck.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for your input guys.

Old 06-15-2006, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

all depends on hunting situations. if your planning on sitting for hours in bitter cold and snow i would go with bibs and a jacket made of the newer materials. like hydro suede or brownings winter suit. i would wear wool next to my skin though. polypropolene is great at pulling moisture away but it feels like a million water drops against your skin if your sweating a little on the walk to your stand. that feeling creeps up on you when you sit in a stand for a while. to me polypro feels clamy against the skin. same thing with socks. i always hated the liner made of polpropolene next to my feet . wool just feels warmer to me against my skin. they now make oversized poly pro socks to go over the wool socks ive found. so doing things backwards works better for me. i would go with wool underwear and then heavy fleece or poly pro loose fit over that then your outer jacket. something like this http://www.davidmorgan.com/product_i...roducts_id=610 or something like this http://www.justincharles.com/home/thermal.htm and if your sitting all day top it off with this vest for heater packs. http://www.warmers.com/ItemDetails.a...oryID%7citemid
Old 06-15-2006, 05:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Personally,I prefer polypropylene as a first layer as opposed to wool.It wicks moisture away from the skin and feels more comfortable and warmer to me.

Quick Reply: Wool Clothing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.