Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hunting Gear Discussion
 What boots for hunting in really cold weather? >

What boots for hunting in really cold weather?

Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

What boots for hunting in really cold weather?

Old 09-30-2005, 10:40 AM

Default What boots for hunting in really cold weather?

Going to saskatchewan and I need good boots for cold weather, which ones should I get? And how about boots with thinsulate? Does it work compared to sorel boots with the felt inserts and how much thinsulate wood be good? I will be still hunting and stand and it might be really cold -10 to -20. Thx
Old 09-30-2005, 11:12 AM
Spike

Default RE: What boots for hunting in really cold weather?

Elmer:

I hear that the real trick is not to wear the boots too tight and buy a size bigger. I would buy as much insulation as you can aford if it's going to be a still hunt. I also heard that the insulated boot covers work real good.
Old 09-30-2005, 01:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Elmer, sorels are fine for stand hunting but aren't great for moving around much! they are bulky, offer minimal support and if there is much snow or wet soak up as much as they keep out making them become heavier. If your planning to do some walking I would suggest you buy yourself a light 8-10" gortex boot, with rubber sole/good grip and thinsulate insulation. The amount really depends on the activty and your feet, more isn't always better! Personally I prefer 600-800 gram due to walking a lot and have sweaty feet. However some of my hunting partners don't have this problem and wear 1000 gram boots for the same situation with no problems. If you already have sorels or pac boots bring them in case you find your self on stand more than moving..it is always a good idea to have a spare set of boots anyway. Like mentioned you want wiggle room with the heaviest sock you'll wear, also loosening of the laces when sitting does help with circulation and keeping the toes warm. The addition of boot blankets when stand huntingfor additional precaution is a good thought as well.

IMHO as important as the boots you choose is the socks you wear underneath them. I wear Helly Hansen Polyproplene sock liners and top them with Merino Wool socks. Both can be bought in different weights for specific use. Due to my feet I wear the hiker Merino wool and thin poly sock liner. They aren't cheap running 25-30 bucks for the combo but well worth it. What ever you do don't wear cotton, if it becomes damp or wet it will end your day in a hurry!

Good Luck
Old 09-30-2005, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: skeeter 7MM

sorels are fine for stand hunting but aren't great for moving around much! they are bulky, offer minimal support and if there is much snow or wet soak up as much as they keep out making them become heavier.
This is true about the Sorels but I have used mine and they have always worked very well. I hope you have a good time when hunting in Canada.