Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Shotguns.....

Old 08-16-2005, 05:52 PM

Default Shotguns.....

Iam looking to buy a new 12 gaugeshotgun, and thought i would ask for some recomnendation, This would be for shooting slugs and possible putting a scope on it as well. I know there are several types of guns just something u all have had the pleasure of shooting,
Old 08-16-2005, 06:34 PM

Default RE: Shotguns.....

Sorry this should be in the (Guns).. My Bad?
Old 08-16-2005, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

its gonna be a hard choice but there are some good ones out there. i owned the mossberg bolt action and my buddy owns the savage. they both shoot very well. but if you looking for multi purpose look at a pump with a rifled choke or you can get a cantelever base slug barrel- meaning the mounting rail built on to the barrel.then you just have to switch barrels out. if your looking for cheap and accurate look at the single shot new england firearms.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

As liquidorange mentioned the pump with the cantilever is an excellent choice for a multi purpose gun. I have the Winchester model 1300 Black Shadow. It works well for my hunting needs.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rem. 1100 or 1187 with a cantileavered rifled barrel. Also,no need to shoot anything more than 2 3/4" slugs. Anything larger just kicks alot.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:51 AM
Typical Buck

I shoot a Remington 870 pump w/cantilever slug barrel. The setup works well and accuracy has been better than I expected. Once deer season is over I just put my smoothbore barrel back on and use it for other things. If I didn't have the pump already I would have went with an autoloader such as, Remington 11-87, Browning Gold, or Winchester SX2.

If I was going to have a dedicated deer slug gun that I didn't use for anything else I would try to pick up a Browning A-Bolt slug gun. These were only made for a few years and are tack drivers. You want get anything more accurate without going to a Tar Hunt custom job.

The one good thing about the 870 is that aftermarket barrels are abundant for this model from several suppliers. I got a Hastings economy slug barrel for mine for under $100 bucks used and it's alot more accurate than I expected.
Old 08-19-2005, 10:44 AM

Take a long and hard look at the
Stoeger 2000

400 bucks
Enertia type semi-auto
Camo
5 tubes

3" only
Old 08-20-2005, 07:52 PM

You could try a Saiga 12 with a side mount and a1-4x variable scope.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:36 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Superpig

I shoot a Remington 870 pump w/cantilever slug barrel. The setup works well and accuracy has been better than I expected. Once deer season is over I just put my smoothbore barrel back on and use it for other things. If I didn't have the pump already I would have went with an autoloader such as, Remington 11-87, Browning Gold, or Winchester SX2.

If I was going to have a dedicated deer slug gun that I didn't use for anything else I would try to pick up a Browning A-Bolt slug gun. These were only made for a few years and are tack drivers. You want get anything more accurate without going to a Tar Hunt custom job.

The one good thing about the 870 is that aftermarket barrels are abundant for this model from several suppliers. I got a Hastings economy slug barrel for mine for under $100 bucks used and it's alot more accurate than I expected.

Good choice!
Old 08-20-2005, 11:07 PM
Typical Buck

Go with a REM 1100 , best gun for the price, very accurate, very durable, smooth reloading. Put a good scope on it thou, if you don't it's like putting retreaded tires on a corvette, just dosent work well