Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Cabelas Tree Climbing Spikes?

Old 06-19-2005, 10:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Cabelas Tree Climbing Spikes?

Has anyone ever tried these? Ive been watching e-bay for climbing spikes like lineman use but them things are going for over $100 and id still need the belts and everything and this set is $109 and it comes with everything and it looks decent for what I would use it for. All id use it for is cutting down the occasional tree or something so maby a couple uses a year. Any input?
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jhtml?id=0004911410810a&type=product& cmCat=search&returnString=No=40&hasJS=true &Nty=1&Ntx=matchall&Ntt=climbing&N =4887&QueryText=climbing&noImage=0&_D% 3AhasJS=+&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fse arch%2Fsearch-box.jhtml.8&Ntk=Products&_D%3A%2Fcabelas%2 Fcommerce%2FCabelasCatalogNumberFinder.giftCertifi cateURL=+&%2Fcabelas%2Fcommerce%2FCabelasCatal ogNumberFinder.giftCertificateURL=%2Fcabelas%2Fen% 2Ftemplates%2Fgiftcertificate%2Fgiftcertificate.jh tml%3Fid%3D0005586990011a%26podId%3D0005586%26cata logCode%3DIB%26navAction%3Djump%26indexId%3D&r eturnPage=search-results1.jhtml
Old 06-20-2005, 01:34 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Cabelas Tree Climbing Spikes?

They are not legal for public ground here. I've used both.

Get the good stuff like linemen use if you are going to try them.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

So they do work decent? I would love to have the professional stuff but $200+ isant in the budget not for something I would rarely use anyways.
Old 06-20-2005, 01:17 PM

I have those from Cabela's. I use them maybe 6 times a year. They work fine for me, for what I do. I use them when trimming branches. I have slipped a few times when trimming walnut trees. Some of the harder woods are difficult to get good penetration into. But it has always been my fault for getting in too big of a hurry. When I take my time, I never have any problems. Good luck.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:21 AM
Typical Buck

Didn't you say you could get used lineman's gaffs for about the same price?

The cheap ones work. They hurt if you are on them very long and the fatter you are the more they hurt. They more they hurt the harder they are to learn to use and if you don't have somebody who knows how, I'd bet most would give up before they ever get near to where they want to be.

The secret is the lineman's equipment has a longer vertical bar against your leg to give better leverage and spread out the pressure. The cheap ones have a shorter bar there and it will try to twist more.

I'd make a belt and get the better gaffs. With good gaffs you could hunt with no stand at all. They will "eat up" a tree if you climb the same one over and over all season. I wouldn't want somebody climbing a money tree much with them.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Jack Ryan

Didn't you say you could get used lineman's gaffs for about the same price?

The cheap ones work. They hurt if you are on them very long and the fatter you are the more they hurt. They more they hurt the harder they are to learn to use and if you don't have somebody who knows how, I'd bet most would give up before they ever get near to where they want to be.

The secret is the lineman's equipment has a longer vertical bar against your leg to give better leverage and spread out the pressure. The cheap ones have a shorter bar there and it will try to twist more.

I'd make a belt and get the better gaffs. With good gaffs you could hunt with no stand at all. They will "eat up" a tree if you climb the same one over and over all season. I wouldn't want somebody climbing a money tree much with them.
The professional ones on ebay are usually going for around $140+ depending on what shape they are in and im not willing to make my own belt when its whats keeping me alive 50' up a tree so I would also need a belt and those were also going for around $100+ And that right there adds up to 2X what the cabelas ones cost and like I said these may get used a couple of times a year for cutting down a tree I have climbing deer stands so I dont need them for hunting. And I cant justify spending $200+ on something I might use 2 times a year its just not in my budget.
Old 06-25-2005, 06:23 PM
Typical Buck

I had a friend that had a pair of the sportsmans gaffs and man they do slip if you are not really careful. I havea pair of linemans that are in reasonably good condition I would sell you if youre interested in them for around 100.00 plus shipping. they are the one's that go up to your knee. they never failed on me and stick in the tree very good. I just don't use them any more. I would think that if a fellow would use the tree saddle and the tree spikes he would be very mobile. you may think about the tree saddle suit instead of a safety harness.
Old 06-26-2005, 01:09 AM
Typical Buck

The professional ones on ebay are usually going for around $140+ depending on what shape they are in and im not willing to make my own belt when its whats keeping me alive 50' up a tree so I would also need a belt and those were also going for around $100+ And that right there adds up to 2X what the cabelas ones cost and like I said these may get used a couple of times a year for cutting down a tree I have climbing deer stands so I dont need them for hunting. And I cant justify spending $200+ on something I might use 2 times a year its just not in my budget.
I wouldn't spend a penny to do that then.

I've got the gaffs, the lineman belts, harness, and about anything you can think off.

I do ALL my tree trimming off my Summit viper. It's the only way to go if you are cutting limbs off the trunk and it will fit on the tree. I wouldn't even consider anything else. I've done it several dozen times and it's just like working right off the ground.

You better get somebody who knows what they are doing with that climbing equipment or you better learn it right or you are going to get killed. No if's ands or buts.

Hint, if you don't know your ropes enough you would trust a "belt" you made yourself, you don't know the equipment or the work enough to do it safely. Do yourself a favour and take my advise or get good insurance.

You can learn it if you want to but you can't just go out and buy the thing you need most, the know how to use it.
Old 06-26-2005, 07:33 AM

Don't scimp on buying climbing equipment, a fall can end your hunting fun forever.
Old 07-08-2005, 02:42 PM

I used to use pole climbers back before climbing treestands came out or loc on's were made commercially. We made our own loc ons and used pole climbers. I got mine from people who worked at the power company, or telephone company. If you know anybody that does they can get them cheaper. I never paid nothing..but times have changed.
You need shanks that go up to your knees and good pads to keep the shank from cutting in on your shin bones. You don't need a commercial belt,.you can buy good belts from treestand accessories places.I bought a pair of them Cabel's Sportsman Climbers yrs. ago when they first came out and you got a little belt with them..I still use that belt hanging loc ons..and never use a big commercial belt I got around here.
Some people like the longer "tree climber" gaffs better than the pole climbers. I liked the regular pole climber s becasue they don't put you so far out from the tree and was easier for me to hang and take down stands. You have to be carefull leaning in towards the tree cause that is when the gaffs will cut out.

Quick Reply: Cabelas Tree Climbing Spikes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.