HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hunting Gear Discussion (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion-32/)
-   -   How do you get FCC license for Walkie-Talkies (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hunting-gear-discussion/102881-how-do-you-get-fcc-license-walkie-talkies.html)

Oldguy 06-14-2005 11:09 AM

How do you get FCC license for Walkie-Talkies

I am using my original 2 watt radios because I can;t figure out how to get the proper license. I bought a 3 watt when they first came out (cheap one) it did NOT have an application with it but gave a web site where I could download one.

There was so many different license apps on that web site and they used terms that only a Ham Operator would understand, I finally gave up![:@]

But I would like to have one of these new 5 watt jobs.:D

So if any of you folks could steer me in the proper direction, I would appreciate it very much!

longrifle1000 06-14-2005 12:06 PM

RE: How do you get FCC license for Walkie-Talkies

I posted a link below to the fcc on 2 way radios. On the right hand side, under Licensing, their is a pdf file with the info. The fee is $80/call sign. So, you would have to have one, and so would the other person. Hope this helps.

FCC GRMS

Their is also a link at the bottom on a getting started tutorial.

Oldguy 06-14-2005 03:46 PM

I was wrong, my old radio's are 1/2 watt ( .5 milawatt ) not 2 watt.

The higher powered radio that I bought indicated I must have a license, but went on to say that it was free, but evidently it's not free!

thanks for your information!

longrifle1000 06-14-2005 03:57 PM

First check to make sure they are GRMS. FRS does not need a licence. The range is much shorter though. GRMS, you need a license but the range is greater. A lot of radios have both on them. Mine are GRMS/FRS and I just use the channels that are FRS. I was shocked when I bought mine. I thought the license was like $15, not $80. Good luck

PABowhntr 06-15-2005 07:29 AM

If the radios are anything higher than .5 watt then they are GMRS. FRS has a .5 watt restriction. Handheld GMRS can go up to 5 watts though you rarely see any over 4.

rick_reno 06-15-2005 08:17 AM

What's the odds of getting caught without your "license"?

kshunter 06-17-2005 09:11 AM

You won't have tohave a license whenonly using the 1-7 FRS channels but if you use the GMRS channels (8-14) you will. Before anyonetransmits on any channel authorized for GMRS use in any area where services are regulated by the FCC, they are responsible for obtaining a license for GMRS use. Any individual 18 years of age or older, who is not a representative of a foreign government, is eligible to apply for a GMRS system license. Application for a GMRS
system license is made on FCC Form 605. There is a $75. fee, you can get a copy of FCC form 605 at:

www.fcc.gov/Forms/Form605/605.html http://www.fcc.gov/Forms/Form605/605.html

Chances of getting caught are very slim, but just depends on your area.

johnch 06-19-2005 09:37 AM

I know that they are wrong ,but of the 15-20 guys I know that have walkie-talkies for hunting (2 watt or higher) non of them have the licesnse.

Johnch

UThunter 06-19-2005 09:02 PM

probly rarely get caught, but i think it's worth buying the license

Oldguy 06-21-2005 07:19 AM

Well, I applied for a license. How long does it take to receive your license?

kraw 08-01-2005 08:22 AM

I could be wrong, but I thought I read somewhere (can't remember where) that the FCC was going to relax that enforcement on GMRS radios

Maybe I read it wrong... who knows.

I too tried to apply for a license and became lost on the FCC site and finally just gave up. I only use my radios for hunting, so the chances of an FCC "cop" catching me is slim to none.

I've run several hunder watt linears in the past, and never got in trouble, what are the chances of getting caught with a 2 watt hand held in the woods?

Also, if I remember correctly, with GMRS, only 1 family member needs the license. Up to 4 family members can communicate with you so long as one family member has the license

pocomoke 08-02-2005 07:36 AM

Been in the two-way radio business since 1972.I have never had a customer nor heard of a customer ever getting caught using a portable without the fcc license.

I do inform them of the need to apply for the license but most do not.

Most of my customers are using them in commercial,industrial settings.But some are buying just for outdoors use.This includes gmrs.I can't imagine you would ever be approached out in the forest about your lack of fcc licenseing.

Once you get your license you will need to sign on and off with your call letters at each use.I would have saved my $$$$$$$$ personally for this use.

PABowhntr 08-02-2005 01:52 PM

OldGuy,

So did you get it yet? What is your call sign?

buttonbuckmaster 08-04-2005 10:35 AM

I agree with pocomoke......I work at a radio station as the general manager. The FCC has bigger fish to fry than some guy using a walkie talkie. They go after the radio stations....thats where the $$$$$$ is LOL