Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
Hog hunting with glow in the dark iron sights? >

Hog hunting with glow in the dark iron sights?

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Hog hunting with glow in the dark iron sights?

Old 07-15-2017, 03:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well skyhunter, it is obvious you don't have a clue about what you are talking about. It is also obvious you have never used Tritium sights. I used them for over 20 years so I am not guessing about what I have said. Your own explanation blows your nonsense out of the water. Glowing sights are just bright enough to see, they aren't like a flashlight shining in your eyes. They are a point of reference. The light shined on the target is to define the target and have not a thing to do with the sights on the gun. I would recommend before you make yourself look silly you actually have some experience before you sound off on something that you are ignorant about. If this is an example of your expertise, I certainly would not book a hunt with you. You know the old saying, "it is better to keep quiet and be thought a fool than to , well you probably know the rest.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 07-15-2017 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 03:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hope skyhunter is making notes on what you have posted Oldtimr because his opinions on what he thinks when he obviously has no experience on what is being discussed compared to your 20 years is very telling. Facts and not opinions are really needed in discussions like this and it's obvious who has the facts!
Old 07-15-2017, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

People say Hogs see poorly. I doubt it, my thinking is they see better in the dark than you do, maybe they see in another light spectrum? Maybe farther into the UV than we do?

My reasoning is I've seen them panic and take off through a dark forest at a full run and not bump into trees and/or stumble over fallen branches. I couldn't do what they do.

I've also had them look right at me from over a hundred yards on a dark night. Maybe I made a slight sound, maybe they scented me, maybe they see better than people think, at least at night. Their ears and nose are exceptional, their eyesight is IMO better than advertised.

A little off topic, but I've set up cleared spots with regular food, not a feeder they are illegal here. I spread straw on the ground and shoot from a high seat. The light straw and dark Hogs made enough contrast that I could shoot in starlight with no Moon out to fifty yards or more.

I also night hunt in Hay fields that are freshly mowed, the light green is enough contrast to see Fox, Yotes or Hogs. The scent of the Rodents chopped up by the mower draws a lot of animals.

I think like many animals Hogs get spooked by motion mostly. But they are smart, the old Sows learn quick. I've seen them weave a path as far as possible from all of our high seats.

Just opinion the glow form a sight is unlikely to be nearly the factor as sound, scent and movement is.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 07-15-2017 at 04:02 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:33 PM
Spike

So would a green glow sight work well with a green spotlight or would they sort of cancell each other out?
Old 07-16-2017, 02:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

The only way the light would cancel out your sights would be if it was shining in your face instead of on the target.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:26 AM
Spike

Ok thanks for all the replies.
Old 08-07-2017, 10:01 PM
Spike

I have been hunting with night vision for three years now and for most of this time its been ATN thermal scope from this site . I've looked through numerous scopes and night visions, ATN turned out to be the best one.

Last edited by hunteralex; 08-07-2017 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 04:59 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by SkyhunterOutfitters
Right it's glowing in front of your eye while you're aiming through them at your target. So in a low light situation explain how your eye is going to be able to make out the target over the glowing sights however faint they may be?
Tritium sights don't spread green light. The green point is exactly that, just a fine point of green. The red tritium is the same. I have tritium sight pins on my bows as my first pin. Other "lighted" use a lens over a minute diode that's lighting up. The lens broadcasts a wide angle and will slough light at the edges of the lens itself and I think this is what you may thinking is occurring.

Try to imagine a green light being seen thru a black tube in an entirely black environment or better yet imagine a very small green laser beam...laser light doesn't spread outward and stays focused. That's what tritium does in a gun sight or a sight pin on a bow.
Old 08-09-2017, 02:48 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by hunteralex
I have been hunting with night vision for three years now and for most of this time its been ATN thermal scope . I've looked through numerous scopes and night visions, ATN turned out to be the best one.
seconding this