Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
Northeast Florida Hog Hunting >

Northeast Florida Hog Hunting

Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Northeast Florida Hog Hunting

Old 07-05-2017, 07:45 AM
Spike

Default Northeast Florida Hog Hunting

Hey guys,

New here and figured I'd take a stab in the dark.

I don't want to pay outfitters to shoot a hog in a pen just to get some meat, done it a few times and it's not sporty to me.
I was wondering if anyone within a few hours of the Jacksonville, Fl area either has some land or is familiar with a hunting area where I could harvest a few meat hogs a year. I'd be willing to pay if the land is private and of course all rules and wishes will be respected. At most it would be me and 1 other individual with my truck, once the road runs out we'll walk to not tear up the land.

Id prefer to not just grab my rifle and walk aimlessly through public woods im unfamiliar with but it seems I may have to do that.

Thanks guys.
Old 07-05-2017, 09:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by GabrielR
Hey guys,

New here and figured I'd take a stab in the dark.

I don't want to pay outfitters to shoot a hog in a pen just to get some meat, done it a few times and it's not sporty to me.
I was wondering if anyone within a few hours of the Jacksonville, Fl area either has some land or is familiar with a hunting area where I could harvest a few meat hogs a year. I'd be willing to pay if the land is private and of course all rules and wishes will be respected. At most it would be me and 1 other individual with my truck, once the road runs out we'll walk to not tear up the land.

Id prefer to not just grab my rifle and walk aimlessly through public woods im unfamiliar with but it seems I may have to do that.

Thanks guys.
That's probably exactly what you'll have to do, but I hope it won't be aimlessly!
Old 07-07-2017, 01:14 AM
Typical Buck

My neck of the woods here. Hogs everywhere.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:23 AM
Spike

There are some good Hog Hunting forums in florida
Old 08-23-2017, 01:20 AM
Fork Horn

Not aimlessly. You want to get near the water off the beaten path. Where there are maintenance paths that haven't been used in a while. Right before dark hogs love to wander out of the woods to root.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by HogFL
Not aimlessly. You want to get near the water off the beaten path. Where there are maintenance paths that haven't been used in a while. Right before dark hogs love to wander out of the woods to root.
Second that, I have no idea why but Hogs favor tearing up the grassy/weed center of seldom used roads. By us it is farm roads and lumber trails.

Along the verge of ripe grain fields is also a good spot. I walk the verge and look for tracks. Not a high percentage undertaking, a lot of walking. Once I find tracks I set up just before sundown and again at first light.

Late in the year for any kind of Berry or fruit. Corn, Rice and Wheat fields seem to be a favorite later in the year.

They chew off the tops of ripe Wheat, chew the juice out and spit out the husks. I've found many of these chewed up husk wads and piles of Pig poop.

Last time I was in the Jacksonville area we would set up on the verge of Palmetto plots where they would spend the day, they forage out from there. Look for a spot with sign and open enough to shoot.

Driving the farm roads can also be productive, you can see the trails they use often crossing the road or the rooting sign in the middle of the road. After a rain is good time to scout.

I've wondered out into the Palmetto groves with my slug gun, likely private property and never had anybody say boo for any reason. I think once a a game Warden checked me out, told him I was looking for Hog sign, he said have fun.