Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
stupid question but had to ask >

stupid question but had to ask

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

stupid question but had to ask

Old 05-07-2017, 06:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default stupid question but had to ask

I read threads with individuals concerned about a backup weapon at close quarters for hogs. There are other articles that have even written concerning hikers protecting themselves from grizzlies with a mace type repellant. How would this work on hogs? I would think they have a keen sense of smell to locate all the grubs and stuff they forage for, so a wiff of some of spray should send them running. I know it would be better to drop them for the harvest, but for those that are unable to afford a back-up it seems spray might do something. Your thoughts?
Old 05-07-2017, 06:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

My thoughts on hogs is the same as my thoughts on bear. If you can't close the deal with a rifle then a handgun is worthless and whenever I'm out and about I nearly always have a rifle in my hands.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:50 AM
Spike

Keep a 12 gauge in the truck.
If you have to go off in the thick stuff, swap to shotgun. Trust me, buckshot is very convincing at close range. It has a calming effect.

Pistols are excellent for movies and forums where people never hunt pigs.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Never tried it so I may be wrong, but IMO the best solution is to avoid pizzing a Hog off. If they are injured, cornered or otherwise get panicky is when they are the more dangerous.

They rarely attack unprovoked, they aren't true predators, but can be predators of opportunity. Sure there are exceptions. The vast majority of the time their instinct is to flee. The exceptions are usually predictable, like you are standing between them and escape (which may be just the direction they are pointed) or the Sows are protecting their young. Or you are between them and cover or the sounder (they are herd animals). Or they are injured. Or the big one most everybody forgets, your girlfriend smells ripe and ready and Boars tend to fight for mating rights (it happens).

My best guess is they are going to panic and they tend to take off in the direction they are pointed. Few people talk about getting trampled, which may be a likely scenario if you spray one while it is facing you. What I'm trying to emphasize is, that unlike Deer that run away, as often as not Hogs just put it in overdrive and continue in the direction they are pointed or maybe an oblique and aren't prone to switching ends or directions (much) to flee. They'd just as soon run over you as around or away from you.

Why don't you try it and see what happens. I usually look for a solid object to put between me and a panicky hog, trees are your friend.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 05-07-2017 at 07:32 AM.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

i'm not sure pepper spray would be effective on hogs.

Most of my hog hunting is done with a muzzleloader. Never saw the need for a handgun while hog hunting. IMO: It's just extra weight. Besides handguns are prohibited in my favorite hog hunting area.

Sometimes there's a rifled barrel shotgun and chainsaw pants in the truck for following up wounded hogs.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Having been on the receiving end of a wounded hog I thought was dead, charge at very close range, I am very glad I had my MK 40 on my hip because there is no way he would'nt have gotten me had I been carrying OC spray. I was taking pictures of him thinking he was dead because he hadn't moved for over 5 minutes, at about 4 feet, my rifle was on the sling on my shoulder when he got up and came at me chopping his jaws and making some other ugly noise. I drew and fired in one motion and killed him at my feet. Also glad I had over 30 years of shooting under stress training with a handgun.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:13 PM
Fork Horn

Interesting comments, my mind was wandering as I was driving and it usually centers around hunting or shooting. I don't have enough hog hunting experience but hope to change that in the future. I deer hunt with a rifle and if a hog comes through that is what it will eat, a rifle projectile. My hog hunting opportunity is limited to Florida hunting, 2.5 weeks a year. At some future point I might get the opportunity to try the spray. Usually I them is a question someone has tried it.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Next time i trap a big boar i'll try pepper spray on the sucker. Always have pepper spray in the truck for two legged varmints.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:07 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by falcon
Next time i trap a big boar i'll try pepper spray on the sucker. Always have pepper spray in the truck for two legged varmints.
Hope the trap is strong, if nothing else I bet it will be pissed Off!
Old 05-08-2017, 07:42 AM
Fork Horn

I carried a 9mm pistol for a while, but a few years ago I swapped it out for a .22 instead. If a hog runs my direction, there's no way I'm going to drop my rifle and grapple for a pistol, and for a finishing shot on a downed hog a .22 is fine. Plus, the ammo is cheaper!
If you're concerned about whether or not a hog is truly dead, poke it in the eye with the tip of your rifle. If it flinches, it gets another bullet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.