Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
Going hog hunting for the first time >

Going hog hunting for the first time

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Going hog hunting for the first time

Old 07-07-2017, 06:29 AM
Spike

Default Hog Hunting... How to start

Old 09-09-2017, 08:44 PM
Banned

Make sure they are dead before you walk up on them. That is the voice of experience.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:51 PM
Banned

What about the eatin size? What size pig should I be looking for as far as good eatin? Do the big boars make good breakfast sausage?

Ive always shot hogs(not wild) in the head with a .22 and got them hung and stuck in the heart before they quick kicking which makes them better eatin. Is it wise to try and heart shoot them with a bow so they bleed out or better to just blow the lungs out?
Old 09-11-2017, 02:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

The biggest hog I ever killed weighed 163 lbs, a boar and it ate just fine. The hams and shoulders were not as tender as a smaller hog but the sausage is no different. I get fresh sausage and sweet Italian sausage made, I make my own breakfast sausage out f the fresh as my butcher sadly doesn't make breakfast sausage.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:45 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by rockport
What about the eatin size? What size pig should I be looking for as far as good eatin? Do the big boars make good breakfast sausage?

Ive always shot hogs(not wild) in the head with a .22 and got them hung and stuck in the heart before they quick kicking which makes them better eatin. Is it wise to try and heart shoot them with a bow so they bleed out or better to just blow the lungs out?
Eat them allllllllll!!!!!! I own a hog hunting ranch and I hate the idea of not eating big hogs. I have one trick to making every hog good to eat.. Use a cheap cooler no yeti kind of stuff, bone the hog out and put in cooler for 3 days in ice add ice and drain water every day and you won't be able to tell the difference. Always shoot quartering away and center mass.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:48 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by rockport
Anything I should know?
- Hunt wind 100% in ur face but you also need to know where they are coming.
- never underestimate their noses be a scent free as possible
- always shoot quartering away