Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Calling in a Sounder

Old 03-05-2017, 05:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default Calling in a Sounder

This was my 6th or 7th time to call in hogs and the 2nd time to call in a sounder at this location. While this was a daylight hunt, it was overcast and dark, misting, and winds gusting quite a bit - the winds actually working in our favor. We set up on the edge of a dam overlooking a tank. We were sitting in fairly high grass, but were still quite exposed to view.

We were using "Sow Hysteria," which is one of Glenn Guess' calls that can be downloaded off of iTunes (so I am told, I can't make this work). It seems to be a fairly useful call and one I have used several times in the past with some luck and is often used by Glenn in his videos (Hog Zombies on Youtube). Before the video starts, we had already gotten a response from the sounder and after the video starts, got an even better response that was really cool!

Glenn now works for Convergent Hunting Solutions, but previously had done the hog calls for Fox Pro. The similar call on Fox Pro would be "Sow Protection."

Hogs certainly don't always come when we try the caller. Sometimes they don't come even when we can see them, but often when they do come, the response is impressive.

I changed over from black hot to white hog as it was easier to see white hot in my scope in the daylight than it was to see black hot. On video, they both look fine, but in the field, white hot looked better during daylight hours.

We ended up shooting two hogs. The second hog was inaccessible and so was not recovered.

Here is the video...

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 03-05-2017 at 03:51 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's very neat. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto, that is really neat. I wonder what a piglet in distress call might do?
Old 03-06-2017, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

I have used it in conjunction with the call I was using, which also does include some piglet distress sounds. It all sort of just depends on the particular hogs hearing the noise. Some will disregard all together.