Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

9mm Load for Hog

Old 02-26-2017, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Default 9mm Load for Hog

I'll be heading back to Chappy's in Moorehaven, Florida next February, and have a few friends going as well. Chappy's offers a dog hunt and allows hunters to use knife, spear, pretty much whatever. My buddy wants to use a 9mm Pistol. What load would be best. The shot will be very close.

-Jake
Old 02-26-2017, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

With having hunted hogs all over the south ranging from knife to high powered rifle and everything in between to include dogs many times. I know that a hog can take a huge beating before giving up the ghost as many here can attest to. I would strongly urge your friend to consider something larger such as the 10mm or 45 ACP with 180grn to 230grn Jacketed Hollow Points if he has to stay in the semi-auto category. If he can take the recoil, I would consider at least a 357 Magnum with 158 to 180grn Speer GoldDots or XTP's or on up to a 44 Mag. I personally use a 10mm or 45 ACP with Hornady Encapsulated FMJ, like a semi wadcutter design and XTP's. They create huge shock. break both shoulders and plows thru the gristle plate like its not there.

Last edited by SecondChance; 02-27-2017 at 08:13 AM.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:10 PM
Super Moderator

Ya, it's not a recoil issue, or an availability issue. More of a sentimental issue. He wants to hunt with this particular pistol.
-Jake
Old 02-27-2017, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

You might mention to him that an injured Hog can and will come right after you. The Sows often come in head back about crotch high. The Boars slash at your legs and can make some nasty gashes.

What he wants and what is safe and practical may not be the same.

Tell him to test whatever bullet he decides on, not every pistol will reliable feed certain bullet shapes. If he has to use the 9 my advice would be to not stop shooting until the Hog stops wiggling. Which is going to tear up some meat.
Old 02-27-2017, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MudderChuck
You might mention to him that an injured Hog can and will come right after you. The Sows often come in head back about crotch high. The Boars slash at your legs and can make some nasty gashes.

What he wants and what is safe and practical may not be the same.

Tell him to test whatever bullet he decides on, not every pistol will reliable feed certain bullet shapes. If he has to use the 9 my advice would be to not stop shooting until the Hog stops wiggling. Which is going to tear up some meat.
I liked one guys answer when asked which 9mm round is best for Wild hogs, his answer was "9.3 x 62 or 9.3 X 72R".
Old 02-27-2017, 06:54 AM
Typical Buck

If his gun can handle +P and +P+ ammo, look at Buffalo Bore. Depending on the shots he'll have to take and the size of the hogs, I'd go with the 147 grain hardcast flat nose for penetration and the 115 grain Barnes for terminal performance.

9mm Luger +P And +P+ Ammo
Old 02-27-2017, 07:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

He better have a well made gun to shoot Buffalo Bore ammo, not all guns can handle it and it is not fun to shoot or practice with.
Old 02-27-2017, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TN Lone Wolf
If his gun can handle +P and +P+ ammo, look at Buffalo Bore. Depending on the shots he'll have to take and the size of the hogs, I'd go with the 147 grain hardcast flat nose for penetration and the 115 grain Barnes for terminal performance.

9mm Luger +P And +P+ Ammo
I've tried some of the hotter 9mm loads, they really hammer your slide.

Just an idea, maybe stack them, jacketed hollows and jacket soft point. Plan on multiple shots.

I've had good luck with silver tips feeding well in all my auto loaders. Some auto loaders can be finicky on what they will reliably feed. Instead of trying to tune my pistols to feed ammo, I shoot what works and leave the feed ramp alone. My High power won't reliably feed any old hollow point, some work better than others. Even the shape of the ogive in ball type ammo changes with bullet weight and can cause issues.

Just some thoughts.

Whatever you choose shoot a box or two, just to make sure it works well in your particular pistol.

I've only had one pistol (auto loader) in my life that would reliably feed and cycle anything I fed it (always), my HK P-7.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:07 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
He better have a well made gun to shoot Buffalo Bore ammo, not all guns can handle it and it is not fun to shoot or practice with.
True, but if his gun can handle it, BB is one of the best options to go with.
Old 02-28-2017, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

I think the 9mm will have enough umphh with the correct bullet choice. I believe we're talking a sub 10 foot shot. Possibly nearly point blank. This will be a hunt using dogs. Many people knife hunt with this guy. So, I think under the circumstances, the 9mm will do fine. I like Mudder Chucks idea of stacking them.
-Jake