Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Two hogs down

Old 02-10-2017, 07:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Two hogs down

I got back last night from a SC boar hunt, dropped off the cooler at my butcher about 9:30pm and got Home about 10:15PM, I drove the whole way from, SC to PA my self so I was dog tired when I got home and this morning I went back to the butcher shop to order what I wanted made and pick up my cooler. I ordered front shoulder roasts, the loins pulled out, ham steaks from 2 of the fresh hams, fresh sausage, sweet Italian sausage and breakfast links and scrapple. Had a great trip, three of us went and we each killed 2 hogs. I had a heck of an experience, with the one hog, a nice brindle. The distance ranged at 43 yards and I aimed for the neck. It is my habit to watch a hog for a while after I drop it, then go to the hog and take pictures before it goes back for skinning and gutting then put in a walk in. After I was sure the hog was dead, it had not moved for about 10 minutes I took my rifle and camera and went to the hog. As I took a picture I saw the hog blink, about the time it sunk in I might be in trouble it jumped up and charged me chopping and kinda growling, my rifle was on my shoulder and I had my camera in one hand and not much time. I always carry my .40 Kahr on my hip for a just in case moment, I drew and fired from the hip when he was about two feet from me and he went down, I backed up to assess the situation and he charged again, and I shot again, this time hitting him in the spine and he went down again. He laid there laboring for breath so I gave him one between the eyes to end it. I have to tell you after it was over I thought to myself, that was really exciting, then I checked my pants. Turned my rifle shot hit him in the neck and didn't kill him then exited through the opposite front shoulder that is what knocked him down, he looked dead and had holes in the right place, had I not taken out the shoulder he would have gotten me, he was plenty fast on three legs. The next day was really hot for Feb, 78 degrees and the pigs were not moving I saw a few small ones and piglets but no meat hogs. That evening I went back on stand about 4pm and same deal, no big hogs until 20 til 6, then I had pigs of all sizes come in for three directions and I had a big selection. I picked out a nice black boar and it took about 10 minutes until there was a clear shot with out the chance of hitting another pig. Daylight was dropping fast as it was one of those evenings where it is like someone threw a light switch so I elected for a behind the shoulder shot as opposed to my usual head or neck shot. I squeezed the trigger and my 45-70 barked and pigs were running all over the place except the one I shot at laying under the feeder, the only hog I ever shot that did not kick at all. I got out of the stand and walked down with my camera to take a few pictures and the bubbles of blood were piled up around the hole right in the crease behind the shoulder, a good lung shot. I took a picture of him them moved in front of him to take a head on shot and saw a piglet with his camo stripes laying about a foot behind the big hog with a big hole behind his shoulder, made me sad that I had done that. His color matched perfectly the ground where I shot the pigs and he was invisible to me. He was so well cammoed that the guide didn't see him when he was standing a foot away dragging my hog to the truck. I figured since I killed the little bugger I would eat him so I took him along. I didn't take a picture of my 10 pounder because I wasn't real proud of doing that. The brindle, the one that charged me weighed 162 lbs live weight and the black weighed 147 lbs live weight. A few pics below.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 02-10-2017 at 07:38 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on the porker.
Old 02-10-2017, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

Way to go sir , sounds like a great time with just enough excitement , glad he didn't get ya . Do yo ever come to Texas, just wondering, I've been to Oregon , Oklahoma and Michigan. And Louisiana but never been to your neck of the woods. Good lookin pigs, God bless n be safe
Old 02-10-2017, 09:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

No sir, never been to Texas except when I hunted waterfowl in Arkansas and I touched a bit of it outside Texarkana Arkansas but I don't claim to have been in Texas.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Good job and don't fret on that little bugger, as he'll make a nice, tender meal for you and the Mrs.!
Old 02-10-2017, 11:20 AM
Fork Horn

Well you seem to be an alright guy , if your ever bored and gonna be this way Hollar at me , maybe we can find something fun to do.I was wondering if you have a smoke house and I'd like to make one , my grandpa had one .I was just curious if you had any knowledge for us dehydrated guys that want to be more old school. Thank you very kindly sir
Old 02-10-2017, 11:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't have a smokehouse, I use a commercial smoker. I know a couple of guys who built smoke houses and it wasn't difficult, they made a fire pit outside the smoke house and dug a trench from the fire pit into the smoke house and ran stove pipe from the pit to the inside of the smokehouse and then covered the trench with dirt and made a cover for the fire pit that they put on to let the smoke travel through the pipe. They also had a fire pit inside the smokehouse for hot smoking. I am sure if you googled how to build a smokehouse you would find all kinds of plans. Thanks for the invite.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

The really old timer, who I used to hunt Hogs with, would always walk up to a downed hog and poke them in the eye with his rifle barrel, loaded, safety off. My guess is he had been there done that.

I've had them look deader than heck and start kicking again. One even popped up and did a few rounds with my Dog before escaping into the thick brush.

Waidmannsheil, sounds like a fun and memorable hunt.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

That it was, it has been logged into my memory banks. I am thankful for all the years of training on drawing and firing a handgun instinctively.
Old 02-10-2017, 01:24 PM
car
Typical Buck

Oldtimr, sounds like you had a great time, Congrats!! Hunting hogs/wild boar has been on my list to hunt. One of these days I'll do it. Do you mind me asking who you hunted with in SC?

Last edited by car; 02-10-2017 at 01:41 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.