Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
Grendel Nosler Accubond on Hogs >

Grendel Nosler Accubond on Hogs

Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Grendel Nosler Accubond on Hogs

Old 07-23-2016, 02:51 PM
Fork Horn

Default Grendel Nosler Accubond on Hogs

I have started looking into 6.5 mm 129 gr. Nosler Accubond Long Range bullets loaded for my Grendel to ~2520 fps. So far, we have shot 4 hogs, the first by my daughter (no video). First two were head shots and the performance was expected for head shots and both shots overpenetrated. Here is the second of those.

The next two hogs were shot with neck shots where the bullets continued down into the body So far, the performance in soft tissue indicates an immediate opening of the bullet and start of considerable damage just below the skin and then apparently the expanded bullet continuing on creating its own permanent wound channel. Both shots significantly damaged the cardiovascular system.

I will try to take a few more hogs with this bullet and gather more insight on the terminal ballistics.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; 07-24-2016 at 08:09 AM.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Everyone I see posting on hunting websites speak very highly of the Accubonds that are now out on the market. I only reload Hornady Interlocks for the 3 calibers I shoot and am very happy with them and will not change due to the old "if ain't ain't broke" saying!
Old 07-23-2016, 06:44 PM
Fork Horn

Nothing wrong with that. Not trying to get anyone to change. Just sharing what I am learning.

Personally, I am a huge fan of Hornady SST 123s.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I tried the SST on a mule deer buck and a cow elk one year out in Wyoming in my pre 64 Model 70 30-06. I had terrible performance on both animals with it blowing up on almost a straight on shot on the buck at about 80 yards. He went down in a heap, but the wound was so huge you could have put one of those big softballs in it. I hit the cow on a broadside shot at 100 yards and she took off like she wasn't even touched. It was almost dark and I had to make the only followup the next morning that I've ever had on an animal in 6 decades of hunting. I found her a couple hundred yards away the next morning and the SST had blown up on a near rib and had only partially taken out the near lung. That is the only animal I've ever lost any meat off of because of the time it took to find her and the warm weather that we had that year. I ditched them and went to the Interlocks, which have performed great at any distance from near to far out.
Old 07-24-2016, 05:41 AM
Typical Buck

DNS, what's your opinion on the 6.5 Grendel cartridge itself?
Old 07-24-2016, 09:36 AM
Fork Horn

The Hornady SST and Berger VLD-Hunting will both do a lot of meat damage, particularly the Berger. Here is summary video I did for the Bergers. I like these for hogs in general, like the SST, but as I mentioned in the video, if you are meat hunter, you may not like them at all.

The Berger VLD-Hunting tended to be a very deep penetrating and massively destructive round. It is frangible and is supposed to shed 40-90% of its weight and in the Grendel, that shedding of pieces comes in the form of lots of tissue damage, but not at the expense of penetration.

My opinion of the Grendel cartridge? Back in 2013, I had abdominal surgery and was told by the doctor that I needed to lay off the heavier recoiling .308 for a while and I wanted more than .223 for hogs, so I went with the Grendel (and Hornady SST 123 gr. ammo). To be honest, I could not tell any sort of change in performance. Either you make the right shot, or you don't. I would say the majority of my hogs are 80-150 yards with some closer to 45 and some in the 150-250 yard range. I think it works fine compared to the .308 and I like the reduced recoil compared to the .308. Most of the hogs I kill are 250 lbs and less and while I get a fair number over 200 (~20% this year), I say that most are in the 100-200 lb range (~70%). A few are less than 100 lbs (~10%).

Folks on the Grendel forum are shooting deer and such out to 400-600 yards with good success. I don't even have dope worked out and I haven't practiced beyond 300 simply because there isn't any place where I hunt that either let's me see that far, or if I can see that far, that I can't approach more closely. So if you are looking for long range insights for the Grendel, I am not the person.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

A Nosler Accubond LR Twofer...