Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Big Boar Patterns

Old 05-21-2015, 07:28 PM
Fork Horn

Dentition. This will help, but the stuff about the Euro-tooth is total nonsense. http://www.hunting-in-texas.com/learnhogs.htm
Old 05-21-2015, 11:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

From about 21 months and up, it is pretty dang hard to judge age on a LIVE wild hog. They don't really get shortened muzzles and swayed backs like whitetail. Maybe a little "wider" in the jowls but not always. I judge hogs by how easily you can turn them on a spit over a nice hardwood open fire From 40 to 150 pounds is what I deem "perfect age". From 150 to 250 is what I deem "sausage age". From 250 and up is what I deem "Buzzard bait age". Fairly easy "aging" calculation if you ask me

Last edited by super_hunt54; 05-21-2015 at 11:13 PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sometimes big boars get into a set pattern. They will often lay up near a good food source-read feeder. Right now i have a huge boar visiting a feeder twice a day. You could almost set your watch by him. When this rain stops i'll bust that boar.

i've killed numerous big boars after game camera photos showed them coming to feeders or ponds at the same time every day.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by falcon
Sometimes big boars get into a set pattern. They will often lay up near a good food source-read feeder. Right now i have a huge boar visiting a feeder twice a day. You could almost set your watch by him. When this rain stops i'll bust that boar.

i've killed numerous big boars after game camera photos showed them coming to feeders or ponds at the same time every day.
Post a picture after you wack him!
Old 05-22-2015, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by falcon

Why wait till the rain stops? Little rain won't hurt either you or the dead hog! I know it's been raining cats, dogs, horses, and sheep down there in Texas, but has OK been getting smacked as well? Either, or, if that hog is still hanging tight to that feeder, a little rain shouldn't stop ya. Go put the smack down on that hog and have a BBQ!
Old 05-22-2015, 11:18 PM
Typical Buck

What about weight to age ratio? Or is that screwed pending feeding habits. Like would a 100lb hog be around a year old
Old 05-22-2015, 11:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JGFLHunter
What about weight to age ratio? Or is that screwed pending feeding habits. Like would a 100lb hog be around a year old
For about the first year and a half hogs grow kind of like snakes do. The better the food, the faster they grow. And I've seen hogs 6 months old weighing in at 100 pounds. They had been eating VERY well from 3 different crop fields of soybean and corn.
Old 05-23-2015, 04:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Why wait till the rain stops? Little rain won't hurt either you or the dead hog!
Yeah, i'd like too. There's a low water crossing that has about 9' of water rushing over it right now. i could get to the other side over a cable foot bridge then walk 3/4 mile through an inundated wetland. But it ain't worth it.