Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
45 ACP and 10mm pistol bullets for hogs >

45 ACP and 10mm pistol bullets for hogs

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

45 ACP and 10mm pistol bullets for hogs

Old 02-24-2015, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 45 ACP and 10mm pistol bullets for hogs

I just found out that they discounted my old stand by of Hornady 200grn FMJ-Encapsulated in .452 dia. It was a bone smashing projectile!!! SO!!! I am now in a new projectile hunting mode for both my 45 ACP and 10mm. I am not really kean on using JHP's for I have shot them with them before and had not had very good results. And regular 230grn ball rounds for the .45 just don't impair enough damage, just blow through. BUT!! That was awhile ago. I am now considering using some 180grn Speer Gold Dots or Winch. SilverTips for the 10mm and load to the max. Any ideas for the .45 and thoughts on the choices listed. I really do not want to use XTP's for either as well.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:51 AM
Fork Horn

The 180gr gold dot and 200gr double tap hardcast bullets are my go to bullets for the 10mm. Had good results with accuracy out to 50 yards. I use unique with a charge just under max. I had my 45 for about 2 yrs now and only shot 1 box of factory ammo out of it. Hopefully I will get a chance to start experimenting with it this summer.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by c-rad
The 180gr gold dot and 200gr double tap hardcast bullets are my go to bullets for the 10mm. Had good results with accuracy out to 50 yards. I use unique with a charge just under max. I had my 45 for about 2 yrs now and only shot 1 box of factory ammo out of it. Hopefully I will get a chance to start experimenting with it this summer.
I forgot about the DT's!! I saw a really good showing on the DT awhile back on one of the shooting shows. They shot 7-gallon jugs of water at about 20ft. Blew through all of them!!!
How did the GD's perform on the hogs? I am concerned more about the expansion and slowing of the round on the gristle plate and maybe shoulder/neck/head area not be sufficient enough for reliablity. All the rounds will be ran +p or more. I am shooting them in a Rock Island Armory Tact ll. The .45 could be one of many!!! Thanks.

Last edited by SecondChance; 02-26-2015 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:58 AM
Fork Horn

Not sure how the GD would do. I know the 3 coyotes I shot with the DT 2 went completely though and the third one I hit in the shoulder stopped it it it's tracks. My GD I only shot at targets. Makes a nice hole in a phone book.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I went and ordered 2, 20-rnd boxes of the DoubleTap HardCast for my 10mm the other night. Should be sometime next week. Cant wait to measure up some porkers with them!!! I want to try a length wise, head to hind qtrs., shot to see on penetration. That if its a big ol grizzled boar or sow, a shoulder shot for some gristle plate work. Will let ya'll know how they work out.
I also bought some Horn. HAP rounds to load in my .45 to try as well. Just waitn on a time to launch them.
Old 03-04-2015, 05:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Lehigh Defense now offers a Xtreme Penetrator line of copper solids.

Old 03-05-2015, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gm54-120
Lehigh Defense now offers a Xtreme Penetrator line of copper solids.

Funny you bring these up!!! I saw them the other week here in the BP forum area. I was kinda looking at them for a curious factor. Would be a rather unique round to try out. Would be hestitant about the possible feeding issues.