Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
Adding feral hogs to your land a bad idea? >

Adding feral hogs to your land a bad idea?

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Adding feral hogs to your land a bad idea?

Old 09-20-2014, 08:23 PM
Spike

Default Adding feral hogs to your land a bad idea?

Its not farm land or anything.

The reasons are mainly year round renewable hunting practice and free food. I live in Texas, my land isnt anything special with the back 15 acres fenced off.

Ive heard of people "relocating" hogs instead of killing them so I thought about having a few dropped off.

Ive heard they are destructive but I dont really anything to mess up.

Thanks,
Shane
Old 09-20-2014, 08:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't. Hogs are pretty destructive. Besides what about your neighbors? Do you really think you can keep them on your land? Nobody else has been able too so I doubt you'll be the first. Most the places in TX with hogs are trying to wipe them out and not introduce them. Think about that for a minute.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:38 PM
Spike

Yea, the neighbors were really my only concern. I thought about talking to them but was looking for some opinions first.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

It is a terrible idea, they will destroy the land and it will be almost impossible to keep them inside the fence. That would not make you too popular they the people whose land they tear up or whose animals they kill and eat and they breed like rats, 2 or 3 litters a year so there isn't anything like a few of them.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ive heard of people "relocating" hogs instead of killing them so I thought about having a few dropped off.
You are very lucky not to have wild hogs on your property. As previously stated, introducing hogs to your property is a terrible idea. It's also illegal in many states.

Whenever the hogs show up on a property the deer suffer. Wild hogs chase the deer off game plots, away from feeders and water sources.

A sounder of 20-40 wild hogs traveling is like a big vacuum cleaner going over the land. They eat the eggs and young of ground nesting birds, tear up the soil for grubs and roots, causing erosion.

Some big hogs develop a taste for fawns, i've caught boar hogs in the act of killing fawns.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:21 AM
Fork Horn

So you don't introduce hogs to your land, especially with just 15 acres that isn't high fenced, you introduce them to the area.

So where is this bit of heaven with no hogs? (county)

I would be willing to bet that if you put up a feeder (for deer), you will have hogs eventually. They will get there on their own and then your neighbors won't lynch you for relocating them there.
Old 09-21-2014, 12:21 PM
Spike

Ok, bad idea... I wasnt sure how bad they really were due to having to pay farmers to hunt them. I figured if they truely as bad as ive heard it would at least be free... any idea what a good self sufficient animal would be? Goats maybe?
Old 09-21-2014, 03:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Actually, if you want animals you don't have to deal don't get any animals. All animals require some kind of maintenance, vet care etc.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Shane.rawlings
any idea what a good self sufficient animal would be? Goats maybe?
I wouldn't go for goats since they can also get to be a problem. If I had a piece of land that I wanted to put something to shoot year round I'd probably look into Corsican Sheep.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

Actually, in Texas it's illegal to relocate and release wild hogs except under very certain circumstances, and in no case may sows be released. Boars that have been castrated and checked for disease may be released into a high-fence preserve that has passed state inspection and regulation. There are no other exceptions.

You may transport live hogs to a certified holding facility which will then resell them to a processor.

Hogs create a lot of problems, and if a game warden learned that you had released wild hogs, you'd have considerably more trouble than you would want.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.