Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

.243 for hogs

Old 02-23-2014, 06:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

Tnhunter444: "Thanks so much for all that very useful advice you've offered. I should be a lot better hunter now."

***You're welcome and I hope so

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 02-23-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Tnhunter444
Can't say I agree with the "any" CF right behind the ear will work thought. With many other things, just what size hogs AND also what sex they might be matters, whether some think so or not. A very large boar will have a shield of 1-2.5" and will affect any bullet from behind the ear to behind the shoulder.

Figuring hogs of 100 pounds or so, zero problem with any decent .243 load. Figuring hogs of 200- 500 pounds, not so simple, especially if they are boars. I've killed a very large boar that had a thick shield of no less than 2.5" and that also turned two bullets, 270gr JFN .44 mag loads from a Marlin Carbine and then required 3 more shots to kill him.

Again, small hogs are NOT difficult to kill. Large boars can be a chore and if they are not dead as you get close to check, you may have a surprise you weren't counting on or prepared to face.
I call BS!!!! A hog does not have a shield or gristle plate near the ear at all. It may extend somewhat up the upper shoulder area, but no where near the ear. And I got my information from the hundreds of hogs that I have killed from all over the South from Texas to Florida and in between!!!!! From 50lbs to over 400 lbs. Ear shot/ back of the head from above/behind, DRT!!!! No tracking. Shoot too far forward or low, another story. Using everything from 22 LR to 338 Lupua, 12ga, 20ga, 50 cal ML to knife. Pistols from 22 LR to 7mm BR. Both wild and domestic hogs. A 243 will drop them just fine if you do your part correctly.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm willing to bet that more than 98% of the game that is lost is lost simply because the shooter didn't do their job right and put the bullet in the right place.
Bingo, Chief!!!!

Used to track a few wounded elk and a dozen or so wounded deer for folks every year. The vast majority of those animals were gutshot. The hunters stories were mostly a variation of: "I don't understand, i double lunged that (check one) deer/elk. A few hunters would fess to a gutshot.

Contrary to the opinions expressed by some on internet boards, hogs ain't rhinos and they are not covered by a layer homogeneous armor plate. i've killed mature boar hogs that went over 300 pounds using a .223 and the 53 grain Barnes Triple Shock bullet. That bullet penetrates the "shield" and the shoulder of big boar hogs.

This boar was killed with a 250 grain SST bullet from my .50 caliber muzzleloader. That bullet is often maligned by muzzleloader hunters as unsuitable for deer because it is rumored to come apart. This boar measured over 19" through the shoulders. The bullet was found between the "shield" and skin on the far side. Hog ran full tilt for about 100 yards after being hit.

Last edited by falcon; 02-25-2014 at 05:03 AM.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

OK, so we've determined that hogs don't have an armor plating..... But elk that's a another story, those animals are bullet proof!!!!!!!
Old 02-25-2014, 05:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by jerry d
OK, so we've determined that hogs don't have an armor plating..... But elk that's a another story, those animals are bullet proof!!!!!!!
Well, I've shot 25 elk and I haven't seen a bullet bounce off one yet. For what it is worth, I've seen 2 elk shot with a .243 and they both ended up on the game pole.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh come-on Chief!!!!!!! must've been a 243 super duper wizzzzzzzum magnum!...LOL

P.S....enjoyed your photo album......nice
Old 03-10-2014, 12:40 PM
Spike

Regardless of the round used shot placement is critical. A .243 will indeed penetrate the biggest hog's shield. However, if you shoot a big boy in the shield with a .223, 243, or even a .270, be prepared to either track a wounded hog or climb a tree; he will not be a happy camper. A good solid head shot with a .243 will drop any monster in his tracks. The problem is we are not hunting on a target range. That 'perfect shot' is not always available. I have been hunting the Florida wild boar hog for over fifty years. I have seen it all. I have tracked hogs by following lung tissue from that 'perfect' heart lung shot. Don't let anyone tell you a wounded hog will not come looking for you with the intent of doing grave bodily harm; they will! I used a 7mm. BAR for years. The 7mm magnum is a much more powerful .270. It will penetrate the 'shield' and blow the shoulder out the other side. Smaller hogs are much easier to locate & get a good shot. However, trophies do not grow that big by being 'easy.' After many hours waiting it's hard to pass up a good heart lung shot because we cannot get a head shot. One solution is to select a caliber with more punch, more knock down power. You will find that virtually any .30 caliber will do much more damage than a smaller round.
A .30-30 is a very popular round because its readily available, cheep, and packs a real wallop. Next up, .308. The .308 is one of the most popular military & hunting rounds around the world. Why? It does the job. Americas own 30.06 is also outstanding. And then there is my own personal choice, the put them on the ground & keep them there 45/70. I have been using my 45/70 Marlin stainless 'guide gun' for over ten years. It's been ten years since a hog I have shot ran; they are too busy dying.
The real sportsman/woman knows his/her weapon, what it will & will not do, and acts accordingly. The choice of a weapon depends on the individual. We all have our personal preferences. The best choice is the weapon we feel most comfortable with.

Last edited by bob harbison; 03-10-2014 at 07:42 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:26 PM
Fork Horn

I've heard of a lot of hogs killed down in TX with AR15 and night vision with 223
Old 04-18-2014, 08:18 AM
Spike

I don’t claim to be a expert on hogs, I don’t shoot boars over about 100 pounds because I don’t think they make good table fair. With that being said you cant beat a 300 pound sow out of an orange grove. I have killed and eaten three this year and that’s about my average for the last 30 years so you do the math. I have a WMA 15 miles from the house with a lot of hogs that you could hunt during small game season but you weren’t allowed to have a center fire rifle. Those hogs must have been sissys because I sure have killed a lot of them with a 22 Magnum. I am not saying that given an option I wouldn’t have had a larger rifle but I have never seen a bullet proof hog and I would count on shot placement over caliber everyday.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:26 PM
Typical Buck

I don't know a lot on the subject at matter but I went down to Stamford,tx a few years ago and shot a 200lb sow with a .243 in head with a 95 gr SST at about 75 yards. It was lights out before she could even hear the shot lol. I also believe that if I would have shot her in the vitals she still would have ended up in the freezer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.