Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
My first Hog experience.  Bummer. >

My first Hog experience. Bummer.

Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

My first Hog experience. Bummer.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:29 AM
Spike

Default My first Hog experience. Bummer.

First off I would like to say that this was my first experience with an outfitter and a preserve. I graduated college Saturday and I go active duty in the Navy at the start of the new year, and my father wanted to give me a good graduation/going away gift. I have wanted to take a hog or Russian Boar with my bow for several years and we thought this would be the perfect time. I thought I would let you all know of my experience at the ranch I went to in Ohio. I do not want to say the name but I am sure with some research you can find out which one it is from the internet and other reviews I have read. We were able to get a Christmas special for Russian Boar off of the current events page on the ranches website. The cost was 450 which I thought was very reasonable compared to other places. So the hunt was booked for Dec 17th.

The lodging at the ranch was nice and the owner was very friendly. We met our guides in the morning and were off for the hunt. Our guide was friendly enough. He set us in a spot over looking a wallow and we waited for the hogs to come. Since this was our first time on a preserve my father and I found all of the exotic deer walking by us to be very exciting and neat. Unfortunately we didn't see any hogs. When the guide came to get us after a couple of hours later, He spooked three little russians boars that were all between 60 and 125 pounds. He told me not to shoot them as they were too small.

At this point the other guide got on the radio and said they had found a big hog up the ridge. As we were stalking towards that area the guide pointed and said that there she is thats your hog. I had specifically made sure when I booked the hunt what I was looking for. A hog with russian or european descent that I could mount. The pig the guide was pointing to was a large barnyard pig. It was pink and tan with black belly spots, curly tail and all. I expressed to him that this was not what I was looking for and this began to upset the guides as they said this was the only large shooter they had and that it was a perfect example of a russian or european hog it just had a color phase. My father has killed several hogs and boars across the nation and he agreed with me this was nothing more than a domestic hog.

They then said that one of the other guides had found a russian across the preserve. We found the hog which was exactly what we were looking for except for the fact that it was only about 80-100 pounds. It was one of the three that had ran by us earlier in the morning. I didn't shoot at first because it was so small and the guide was upset and said that was the best they had. Then without even talking to us about it they began to chase the small hog down with an ATV to run it by us again for another shot. I have nothing against preserve hunts and really wanted to try it, but I mean I was already in a fenced in area the hog was not going anywhere and then to take out what little sporting experience there was left one of the guides chased down the hog on a 4 wheeler to give me what they called a presentable shot. I felt no sense of accomplishment and no challenge whatsoever so I did not shoot. This angered one of the guides as he said this hog was as advertised. It may be what they had advertised but it was not as large as they were stating it was.

The guides took me for an idiot. That I would shoot the domestic hog and be under the impression that it was what I had wanted. They then used what in my opinion is a pretty unethical way to give me a shot at small boar.

The owner of the place was great, the guides unfortunately were not. I was able to keep my money as I didn't shoot but I have been severely burned and will do much more research before my next try at a hog. Pretty bummed and let down by the whole experience. Oh well God is good all the time and looking at the bright side it was another day spent in the woods with my dad and heavenly father.

Dan
Old 12-19-2012, 08:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sadly, what happened to you and your father seems to be the norm. Many of these hog hunting "ranches" are bait and switch operations. i know guys who trap and sell wild hogs to those places. Some even pen wild hogs and raise them for the hunting "ranches".

Some wild hogs i've shot and trapped look like dirty show pigs that did not make the cut. Many of the hogs here also have Eurasian boar blood from hogs that were imported from Germany.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:12 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry for your bummer experience. But as a avid Hog hunter I got to tell you to keep at it cause when you find a good place to hunt you will not be disappointed! But to get into some good hog hunting sometimes you need to travel to where the Hogs realy are.

Good Luck

Niccum
Old 12-21-2012, 09:47 AM
Spike

thanks for the responses guys. I have deer hunted my entire life but recently have set out to get me a hog with the bow. Any good recommendations for places to go? I would prefer somewhere with a high success rate or at least good chances of seeing big boars like a preserve because my wife will be tagging along with me on my next opportunity. Thanks in advance and God Bless.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:49 AM
Spike

thanks for the responses guys. I have deer hunted my entire life but recently have set out to get me a hog with the bow. Any good recommendations for places to go? I would prefer somewhere with a high success rate or at least good chances of seeing big boars like a preserve because my wife will be tagging along with me on my next opportunity. Thanks in advance and God Bless.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:46 AM
Spike

That's sucks, bro. Don't worry, there are other places. I did a hunt in TN this past summer and had a blast. Next year will be in TX. I'll be giving Langley Ranch a shot. They seem like a great outfitter and looks like they have plenty of good size boars; they have a Facebook page with new pics.

http://texaswildhoghunting.com/index.html
Old 12-21-2012, 01:08 PM
Fork Horn

East texas is hard to beat man. I will have another hunt planned sometime in April. Also If you havnt hunted with dogs you may want to give that a try I took my 5yr old daughter and she is hooked!
Old 12-21-2012, 03:15 PM
Spike

With the over population of hogs and the huge ranches down in TX, I should be able to get a nice boar for a mount, and still be able to tag some small hogs for meat. I can't wait. It looks like that state is the place to be for wild hogs.
Old 12-25-2012, 06:27 PM
Spike

Thanks guys im plannin on takin a trip with the wife to wilderness hunting lodge in TN next year to try the hogs again. Snake eater where at in TN did you go?
Old 12-29-2012, 02:16 AM
Spike

I didn’t go but some of my friends went. Heard It was a great adventure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.