Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
Are wild hogs good eating? >

Are wild hogs good eating?

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Are wild hogs good eating?

Old 11-26-2012, 03:23 PM
Spike

I shot a big'un 28 years ago (325 lbs), cleaned it immediately and well and had it on ice within 4 hrs. I sent it frozen to the butcher who made ,among other things, bone-in pork roasts that my wife cooked like a beef roast, with cream of mushroom and dry onion soup mix. Tenderest and best tasting meat we've ever had. Gonna retire in 2 years and spend lots of time hunting hogs.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:37 PM
Spike

I skin, gut and quarter my hogs and soak it in a mixture of ice, water and vinegar for three to four day. I drain and replace ice, wate and vinegar every 24 hours. For the first two or three days there will be a lot of blood in the mixture but by third or fourth day it will just be lightly pink in color. This process removed a lot of blood and the "gamey" smell and taste and makes the meat tasty.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

When a trapped hog is killed i hang it head down and cut its throat to drain the blood. When hunting my dragging line is thrown over a limb and the hog hoisted up as far as possible before cutting its throat.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:58 PM
Fork Horn

I'm no expert, but I shoot and eat maybe a half-dozen hogs a year. The largest I've shot was about 220 Lbs and while it tasted okay, it was tough. However, I cooked some of the meat in a pressure cooker and then it fell apart. The rest I ground up and made into burgers, spaghetti sauce, lasagna, meat loaf, sausage etc. and enjoyed every bit. At some point (IMHO > 150Lbs) they can get too tough are better ground up.
Hog meat should be cleaned and put on ice quickly. It should not be 'hung' like beef or venison, the fat in hogs starts going rancid pretty fast. Some folks deliberately keep them on ice for a few days, being careful to drain the water and replenish the ice frequently. I don't do that as a standard practice, although I have kept a few on ice for as long as two days before cutting them up and packing them into the freezer.
I have not yet had one that needed to be discarded. I've eaten every one I've shot. Like I said the largest was around 220Lbs, the next largest was ~175Lbs. The average weight probably runs ~100Lbs. As for taste, the meat is not as white as commercial pork, it looks more like beef. To me it tastes a lot like beef also. If you cook it and season it with salt and pepper (and whatever else you like) I'd compare it in taste to a chuck roast or a round steak. It's not sirloin, but it's pretty good.
On the other hand, slice the backstrap into medallions, wrap a piece of bacon around them and throw them on the grill . . . and you've got something really tasty!
Old 12-06-2012, 07:57 PM
Spike

the seaon for the hunting of it is not fixed you can hunt them in whatever season you like them most.
Old 01-08-2013, 01:50 PM
Spike

Wild hog is better than anything bought in the store..
no growth hormone shots...no steroids ....
Old 01-08-2013, 02:15 PM
Typical Buck

I like wild hog much more than domestic. Don't get me wrong, we raise pigs and get some of the best pork available. I still prefer wild.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:11 AM
Spike

wild hogs don't taste a lot like farm raised pork they kind of got a taste of their own. we kill a few every month during deer season but in mississippi you can hunt them anytime and we do, when hunting in the warm and hot months you got to get them cool fast. you got to have a want to attitude to clean and butcher wild hogs because they are crawling in lice and ticks,like some others said get them to a car wash and clean the crap out of them quick. wild hogs don't have hardly any fat at all. i keep mine on ice for a few days keeping the water drained before eating. if you see a sow and boar are chasing her don't shoot her leave her alone and shoot the boars. sows in heat have a strong taste that will make your eyes water if you try cooking them in the house. big hogs are tougher to eat as with any game but piglets are the hardest to skin sort of like trying to skin a football. wild hogs come out in the daytime but most are night feeders. they are some of the hardest critters to kill, bullet placement is key, either a heart lung,spine or behind the ear head shot is needed. shoot them to far back and you will have a hard time finding them if you ever do. the biggest one i have killed was a 300#boar it had loins big as my leg and was the best eating hog ever. but nothing beats piglets in the crock-pot.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:23 AM
Spike

Since the original post was in dallas. I've hunted feral hogs in the middle of the metroplex on core land. You might have to do some digging, but there's lots of spots within 2 hours drive every direction. Call a farmer and you might get to help him protect his crops. Last I heard was that there were over a million hogs in Texas.

I just eat them smoked or in a crock pot. I also soak mine to get the blood out. The taste you get will really involve your preparation and cooking skills. I've never even tried one that was over 100lbs. I always heard they weren't good. Maybe I'll give it another go.

I really doubt you'll find anything like bacon at the store on a wild hog. It's not a "natural" thing to find even though it tastes like heaven.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:57 PM
Fork Horn

The smaller the hog the better they taste. Why? because they are more tender. As for rules, they are open season 24/7/365 in Texas, just need a hunting license.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.