Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Hogs and Exotics
hog hunt close to Illinois >

hog hunt close to Illinois

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

hog hunt close to Illinois

Old 05-25-2012, 01:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default hog hunt close to Illinois

Hi, im wanting to take my son on his first hog hunt.What is the closest place to northern or central Illinois. Thanks for any help ...
Old 05-26-2012, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go down towards Shawnee Nat. Forest and you will find hogs. I have several partners that live down that way and they kill them every year during turkey and deer season. You may have to look around for some farmers who will let you in, but they are there.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Scenic View Ranch Monona, Ia. (N.E. Ia.) www.svranch.com

North Star near Tama, Ia. (central). I know of many that have been here & had a great time.

Both have web pages.

As far as Wild in Ill. I'm guessing it is few & far between. I do Bowhunt them in the off season In Tx. & Ok. for a fee as even though they are "pests" & many in these states, aquiring access is tough for sure & when traveling from out of state, less expensive in the long run to pay the average price of around $300 which includes lodging & private hunting by feeders (legal in these states).
Old 05-29-2012, 09:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I did a bit of research a couple years ago. Missouri has some public ground wild hogs - Mark Twain National Forest. I believe I was talking with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers about hunting the hogs. I found a superintendent at one of the sites who told me hunting was slow at the time, but to keep in touch. I never did call back.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:41 AM
Spike

I've always wondered if Il had any wild hogs. I have never found any places here that had any. So, I did the next best thing; booked a hunt with an outfitter in TN. The long drive will suck, but it'll all be worth it.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shiloh Bowhunting in Ok. is a great place also.
Attached Thumbnails hog hunt close to Illinois-mebighoghangin900.jpg  
Old 06-03-2012, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Feral Hogs are scattered thru out Missouri...seems most are located in the South,Southeast and bordering Arkansas the most.As Rogerstv mentioned a lot of the Hogs are located in the Mark Twain National Forest,which can be a lot of land scattered in thru the Ozarks Regions and lower parts of Missouri.They had a lot of trouble with them in around Piedmont MO.,Lake Wappapello area down Hwy 67 South which in a large Lake Region and again Forest Area's.

We had a few killed around our area here in Southeast Missouri but they are few and far between and with a lot of Private Land scattered around hunting them can be limited.We hunt a large tract of land close to us that is also MTNF and haven't seen one or any signs of any around?
Old 06-06-2012, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

MUZZY-did you decide on or find a place to go????
Attached Thumbnails hog hunt close to Illinois-hog-vitals.jpg  
Old 06-08-2012, 04:43 PM
Fork Horn

Nope not yet,i was hoping that there was something closer than there is ?? I owned 279 acres in southern misssouri Howell county for 15 years and never saw a hog ? I know there are some around but not enough to take my son ? Im still looking ?
Old 06-29-2012, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

We have a really good paid hunt in Oklahoma.