Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Public Land Hog Hunting

Old 05-19-2011, 01:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default Public Land Hog Hunting

I am new to the forum. My work finally opened up the filters and let us have some fun. I was just in Oklahoma for a private land hog hunt. It was hot the beginning of April and the hogs were scarce. We are heading down next spring to try it again but are going the public land route. Does anyone know of some public land that may be better than others. We are staying near Lawton. Would drive 1-2 hours if it was worth it. Heard Fort Cobb WMA was a good start. Thanks for any info.
Old 05-21-2011, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

I've heard Love County has quite a few. Anywhere along the Red River would be loaded as well. I have seen them hit on the side of the road coming into Hinton which is pretty close to Fort Cobb. They are even at Black Kettle WMA along the river.

I've never hunted public for them but I am told that all these have good populations. I am thinking about heading to All About You ranch in June. Hopefully they will be around the water holes.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:13 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the info Kelly. We hunted on a guys land last month and he told us that it was to dry and his land was not holding the hogs, we went anyway and he only charged us half price. We had a great time but saw one hog, but that is when we left and went to public land. Hope you have better luck than we did and I will look into those places.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

well, basically comes down to how yer gonna hunt...
not all public lands allow for gun hunting.
We got out a map and highlighted the public lands that allow rifle with one color, bow with another...
then we determined which one had more water runnin through it. it was right on time...we were on a load of hawgs with in 20 minutes of walkin in,
ended up only draggin em bout 1000 yards...
im tellin ya after 4 hogs, dragged out in muck my 18" snake bites were takin on water over the top, gut n cleaned, we were done, toast, finito'...was a good time, we both took home a lil over 300 lbs of meat each.....btw, take a guy with ya who doesnt know what tenderloin and backstrap is...but he was more than happy with 9 legs though.(lol ill get rid of those backbones and stuff hehe)
Old 05-24-2011, 11:41 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks HalfBaked. As I look around I see most places only allow shotgun with size BB or smaller shells, at least the ones that I have looked at. I know water is the key. Is one type of water perfered over another, meaning ponds, streams, lakes and rivers. I am a hog novice. Only know what I have read.

Last time we took a friend that works at the pork plant but since we did not get one it was not that benificial.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default I'm not an expert . . .

My thinking -- which may or may not be correct -- is that as the weather gets hotter hogs look for places to wallow and cool off. That means shallow water with a muddy bank in the shade. Look for hog-sized depressions along the shoreline of tanks or ponds, and hog tracks. If you can find a fresh spot where they've been wallowing during the day, throw some corn out and wait for them to come by.

In theory that sounds good, but where I hunt there are literally dozens of small stock tanks spread around, and who knows which ones the hogs will go to on any given day. The one sure requirement is shade, so rule out the ones with no trees along the banks. Other than that, good luck!
--
Old 05-24-2011, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

those are good ideas too def...the best luck i had was just get on a set of good fairly fresh tracks, and still hunt your way to em.. a mile er so is the most we ever went, and we are on top of em...usually under a tree or low branch in the shade when we find them, they usually bust us 1st..they have a terrific sniffer on them, be ready to shoot.
i don care what n e 1 says, i busted hogs hangin with red fallow under a low limb in the lowlands under a tree canopy. had i know it was fallow i woulda busted caps in bof day azzes..but i stood there stupid just lookin at em, cause i never seen 1 b4..but i got their number now lol (there is a high fence bout 1 mile from this spot, we believe the red fallows escaped from the pen and just stayed in the area)
i aint sure where you are, but better take a snake bite kit and sum snakebite gear, i had one strike from a cotton mouth (poisoness water mocasin here), boots paid for themselves that day.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:51 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks, it will go on my list. I live in NW Missouri but we were hunting south of lawton near the red river. Few venomous snakes in MO but we had a run in with a cotton mouth. It almost got my friend. He did not live to almost get the next hunter he got roasted with a shot gun.

cc
Old 05-29-2011, 08:55 PM
Fork Horn

holler at me next time you're in okla, i'll put you on some hogs
Old 05-30-2011, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Alltlk4
Thanks, it will go on my list. I live in NW Missouri but we were hunting south of lawton near the red river. Few venomous snakes in MO but we had a run in with a cotton mouth. It almost got my friend. He did not live to almost get the next hunter he got roasted with a shot gun.

cc

cotton mouth aint no joke, just as bad as a ground rattler.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.