Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Hunting license for hog?

Old 05-02-2007, 11:22 PM

Default Hunting license for hog?

Here's one, do you have to have a license for hogs if you are hunting on private property. If you were removing them for a rancher. They gave me some lip about having a hunting license for them but their not a game animal like deer or turkey. It would be like removing coyotes? I'm not sure I think the Parks and Wildlife were giving me a hard time. Thanks.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:02 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Hunting license for hog?

ORIGINAL: slicksvt

Here's one, do you have to have a license for hogs if you are hunting on private property. If you were removing them for a rancher. They gave me some lip about having a hunting license for them but their not a game animal like deer or turkey. It would be like removing coyotes? I'm not sure I think the Parks and Wildlife were giving me a hard time. Thanks.
What does your state Reg's say? What state are you from?
Old 05-03-2007, 07:20 AM

Texas
Old 05-03-2007, 07:33 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: slicksvt

Texas
TexasHuntingRegulations

License Requirements
A hunting license is required of any person, regardles of age, who hunts any animal or bird in the state of Texas, except as specified by law. Non-residents under 17 years of age may purchase and hunt with the Special Resident Hunting License (Type 102).
A hunting license is not required to hunt the following:
[ul][*]Alligators; however, an alligator hunting license is required.[*]Coyotes, if the coyotes are attacking, about to attack, or have recently attacked livestock, domestic animals or fowl.[*]Depredating feral hogs, if a landowner (resident or non-resident) or landowner's agent or lessee is taking feral hogs causing depredation on the landowner's land. [/ul]

Old 05-03-2007, 12:51 PM
Typical Buck

Every time I have hunted Texas for hogs, we stop at the local WalMart and pick up some sort of special regulations 4 day permit. Costs us $45 and allows us to hunt hogs without a big game license.
Old 05-03-2007, 02:34 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: 98Redline

Every time I have hunted Texas for hogs, we stop at the local WalMart and pick up some sort of special regulations 4 day permit. Costs us $45 and allows us to hunt hogs without a big game license.
NOTE: All laws and regulations governing hunter education still apply.

Non-resident General Hunting (Type 102): $300
Valid to hunt any legal bird or animal except alligators. Stamp endorsement requirements apply.
Non-resident 5-day Special Hunting (Type 157): $45
Legal for any period of 5 consecutive days (valid hunting dates will be printed on the license when issued). Valid to hunt: Exotic animals, all legal game birds (except turkey), nongame animals, squirrel and javelina (not valid for other game animals or alligators).

Old 05-03-2007, 03:18 PM

Key word here in Texas is DEPREDATING FERAL HOGS. Most pay ranches don't fall under this definition and could get fined. I would venture to guess it would be a lot of discretion on the game wardens part. I would buy a license.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:33 PM

Got hooked up on the hunters safety course at Cabela's on June 9th, then I won't have to worry about a dam thing and I'll be ready to hunt.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:41 PM

here in okla,you don't have to have a license to hunt on private land