Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

hunting wild boar in NY

Old 12-27-2006, 03:36 PM

Default hunting wild boar in NY

Believe it or not, we have wild boars in upstate NY. I took one in October with my bow while white tail hunting.
Now, I am interested in hunting themand want to learn more on how to hunt them. We have no season, and for that matter no rules. I have permission to hunt on a few different farms where the farmers want them gone!. These hogs escaped from a fenched preserve about 10 years ago and are multiplying like crazy.
I have gone out and scouted around a bit. I have an idea where I would have the best chance, but I really do want to know what is the best way to hunt them.
I have been on this forum as well as texasboars.com, very different opinions. I do have a grunt and squeler call. I am thinking about making a few bait piles where I know there is some activity. Any reciepies would be appreciated as well.
Any advise would be great. Thanks!
Old 01-10-2007, 04:43 AM

Default RE: hunting wild boar in NY

were in upstate ny is this
Old 01-10-2007, 08:16 AM

I too, would like to know where feral hogs or wild boar exist in upstate NY. This is the first I've heard of this and have hunted NY for several years now.
I would love to hunt one of these critters in the wild so close to home, contrary to what some seem to think on this forum.
Do you hunt them only on a private farm or do they live on state land as well?
I am aware that these hogs/boars can cause havoc on the landscape and make it difficult on livestock that live on these farms. Would the farmer allow other hunters to trespass/hunt for these hogs? Most farmers here in NJ will grant quick permission to hunt groundhogs and coyotes because they're both a nuisance to the farm. Once they're comfortable with you as a varmint hunter, they often give permission to hunt deer or turkey as well.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:43 PM

I "hunted" a "preserve"(1st& last time)near Cortland NY a few years ago and the guy said if we see any hogs on the outside of the enclosure we could shoot them for free . Seems they get out when trees fall and knock the fence down . We looked all day for a freebee but we saw nothing.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:50 PM
Fork Horn

wow id dint know that there were some up there..When you are done with them up there come down here and clean them out!
Old 01-10-2007, 05:04 PM

Actually, this is petmat22 's thead .I was just saying where I hunt ,not sure where he saw his hog.
Old 01-22-2007, 03:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would love a chance to hunt hogs in NY.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:23 AM
Fork Horn

There have been articles in the Syracuse paper for the last couple of years regarding the hogs. There have been a few lucky deer hunters who have shot a couple. There were pics of a couple 200 pounders. They are of a small population of escapees that are starting to expand their range.
The first year the article said they could be shot no laws against it. This past year the article was a bit muddy on if it was legal. I do beleive if it is on your property you can shoot it no problems. I had a buddy who shot a sika deer while I was hunting with him on his farm up north. And the CEO we talked to said it was legal. Not so sure about public land though.

Anyhow the area is in the Otisco Valley. I would not mind having some around here. What a bonus for the freezer that would be!!
Old 01-28-2007, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

i wonder if they will make it or here, that would be nice