HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Hogs and Exotics (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics-73/)
-   -   Favorite Caliber for Hogs and Why? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs-exotics/168764-favorite-caliber-hogs-why.html)

CalHunter 12-06-2006 09:34 AM

Favorite Caliber for Hogs and Why?

I just finished a pig hunt with my bro-in-law, and nephew. The nephew dropped a pig on the spot with a .308 and CoreLokt bullet. My bro-in-law shot a pig with a 450 Marlin softnose bullet and it went through and through, leaving a huge blood trail. The pig then ran for 100 yards before dropping. I shot a running hog 3 time with .270 Nosler Partition 130 grn bullets before he dropped. One of those shots was right behind the leg in the boiler room.

I've previously shot a huge 270# hog twice with a .270 (one in the heart and one in the brain) which ran for over 100 yards and still bit a dog in his back leg before dying. A buddy on that hunt dropped a pig with 1 shot from a 30-30. Those big and slower bullets seem to take hogs down quicker.

I'm thinking about going up in caliber for the next pig hunt, either .338WM or maybe one of those 45-70's. What caliber is everybody else using, your pig hunting results with it and why?

ddeblance 12-06-2006 09:54 AM

RE: Favorite Caliber for Hogs and Why?

I've shot .270 and 30.06 from 100# to close to 300# hogs. Both did the job. I like head shots. Have never taken a pig in the kill zone.... Head shots drop them where they stand.

Cavguy 12-06-2006 09:58 AM

Arrows are the best caliber for hogs! If you have never bow hunted hogs, you should give it a try. You will sell your rifles on here so you can buy more archery gear! Bowhunting hogsis my favorite hunt, unless its elk, deer, mountain lion or bear. . . well I really love hogs too.:D

Garminator 12-06-2006 10:02 AM

I had a post goin on here about a recent hog hunt where I corked one with my 270 wsm (Win Sup 130 gr bst-shot in the vitals) and he ran a few yardsbefore droping,however my concern was that the round didn't punch all the way through (130 lb pig). Then after speaking to the many knowledgeable people here I became aware that it's common for most deer rounds not to punch all the way through on hogs due to their "body armor" so to speak. Personally, I'll continue using my 270 wsm with full confidence however I think I'll step it up to a 150 gr. Good Luck.

CalHunter 12-06-2006 10:18 AM

I've always shot for the kill zone and not taken head shots. My first hog was a good size one with 2.5" tusks and I had the head mounted. Not the wife's favorite mount but it sure brings back good memories of a fun hunt. I agree that a .270 can take hogs as I've taken a 270# and 175# hogs with a .270. However, both hogs required multiple shots to take them down. Partly it's because the hogs are amazingly vital and strong animals (they keep running even when you put a round through the heart). And partly it's their body armor which does stop smaller bullets from going through and through. From what I've seen so far, .30 rounds tend to dump them quicker, pass through and through and leave a better blood trail. Of course, this could be just an excuse to buy a new gun.;)

kurdog 12-06-2006 10:24 AM

we very seldom shoot(prefer knives) i do carry a 45 colt for bad boys. in the event i carried a rifle in would be the 35 rem. in my marlin lever action

CalHunter 12-06-2006 10:26 AM

That is probably more excitement than I want, however, I have seen it done once.;)

North Texan 12-06-2006 11:35 AM

I've killed several dozen this year with my .223. I haven't had one go more than 3 feet yet(250# boar).

Chantecler111 12-06-2006 12:38 PM

225 Gr. .338 Win Mag, has always done the trick for me.

Californiadoctor 12-06-2006 01:03 PM

I hunt hogs in California with a .300 Wby Magnum and I am sure if I ever find a hog on public landshere, that caliber will be very effective.

Caldoc