Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Spear for Hogs?

Old 08-04-2006, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default Spear for Hogs?

Does anyone have a spear they recommend for hog hunting? I'm looking at the cold steel line right now (Boar Spear, Assegai, and Samburu) and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on type of spear.
Old 08-04-2006, 08:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Spear for Hogs?

The only spear I use is one that flys out of my bow. Usually carbon express 300'swith 125 grain broadhead.
Old 08-05-2006, 12:29 PM
Fork Horn

you need to have one custom made, all steel, not wood. Leaf springs off a truck can be made into very good spear blades. get you some 1/4 inch pipe, threaded in 2 - 4ft sections and have you a hilt on the back of it for a stabbing spear.
Find a custom knife maker or a blacksmith in your area that can help you.
For a throwing spear you'll need to also have one made to your own specifications, that way you are comfortable with it and know the particular weapon as opposed to one you ordered out of a catalog.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:18 PM
Fork Horn

Had a friend that I just couldn't talk into using a knife. The method I like best. But he ended up picking up a Zulu Spear from Africa. Man on man did that take out the hogs. Makes real short work of a mean ole boar. Watched him put down a 360 pound boar one night. This was several years back. I'll look for the picture of him with the hog and spear. If I find it I'll post it. Didn't have a digital back then.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:26 AM
Fork Horn

The Zulu is a real similar design to an Assegai spear. I figured a spear would make quick work of a hog considering the average person can throw a spear min of 40 mph roughly producing 200 ft. lbs of energy well over the 35 ft lbs it takes to kill a hog with a bow.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:53 PM

cold steel. i've had guys hunt with me who used them with good success.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:47 PM

A guy I bowfish with uses them. His uncle custom makes them. I can get his number if you are interested.