Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
Remington 700 Trigger Hunting >

Remington 700 Trigger Hunting

Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Remington 700 Trigger Hunting

Old 09-22-2017, 05:05 PM
Spike

Default Remington 700 Trigger Hunting

What would be a good trigger for hunting to replace my factory trigger with?

Timney 510
Timney CE Elite
Rilfe Basix

Timney CE is a bit pricey and I don't think I want to get <2 lbs for pull weight on a hunting rifle.
Old 09-22-2017, 07:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Timney 510 or a TriggerTech...
Old 09-23-2017, 07:19 AM
Typical Buck

I put in a standard timmney , which I think is the 510, around $150. I haven't used the others. Little screwing around with bolt release.
Old 09-23-2017, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe you will be very happy with a Timney 510. There are two trigger widths from which to choose. The standard 510 trigger blade is slightly wider than the factory trigger blade and may take a minute or two with a file to open the slot in the top of the aluminum trigger guard. This is very easy to do and not noticeable after installation. There is a thin blade 510 trigger available also that will not need any filing. I like the standard (wider) blade better but to each there own.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a buy once, cry once guy. If it says Remington 700 on the receiver, the slip packed with my trigger says Jewell.

The 510 is a fine trigger, but not a Jewell. I favor the 533 2 Stage if I'm putting a Timney into a 700.
Old 09-23-2017, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

to be honest for hunting the factory triggers are rather just fine, the older 700's you can make them way better, or a smith can for you?
but in field hunting, unless your a LONG range guy, factory is just fine, don't buy into the need to BETTER "X" and all
I own several full blown custom rifles and down , I have shot many sub MOA factory guns on stock triggers!
like all things in life you can add what ever makes you happy, but its honestly NOT needed!
Old 09-24-2017, 04:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

OH contrair with all the Remington unsafe trigger hype sweeping the gun world and hightened by those who don't know, you need to change to a aftermarket trigger.

Those of us who know are completely happy with the factory triggers and practice gun handling never the less as always.

Al
Old 09-24-2017, 11:13 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
OH contrair with all the Remington unsafe trigger hype sweeping the gun world and hightened by those who don't know, you need to change to a aftermarket trigger.

Al
I don't buy the hype. My 70s trigger won't go off. I have tried.

The 700 incidents where someone had a gun pointing at someone, and claim the safety was on. I have read some forums where guys say they have seen it in real life. Dunno.

I wouldn't worry about newer rifles.

I agree nice triggers are not needed by most for hunting. I just sometimes have extra money, and priorities.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
I'm a buy once, cry once guy. If it says Remington 700 on the receiver, the slip packed with my trigger says Jewell.

The 510 is a fine trigger, but not a Jewell. I favor the 533 2 Stage if I'm putting a Timney into a 700.
I do like the Jewell with a safety much better than the Timney for a varmint rifle and used to use them without safeties in benchrest rifles. Very nice trigger.

For a standard weight factory hunting rifle such as the OP's new CDL I like the 510 a bit better as there is no desire on my part to set the pull at one pound or less for these rifles.

Have you tried the Timney Calvin Elite yet? I have not tried it yet but looks like it is very similar to a Jewell in both performance and price.

Single stage for me.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:45 PM
Typical Buck

I was curious to try Timney's new two stage trigger. Few bad reviews. But there is for everything, and it is new.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.