Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
Can a automatic be recambered >

Can a automatic be recambered

Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Can a automatic be recambered

Old 05-21-2017, 06:18 PM
Spike

Default Can a automatic be recambered

So I was wondering could a 8mm automatic be recambered to 308 30-06 I know a lot of 8mm bolt guns that were bring back from ww2 were done like that
Old 05-21-2017, 06:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Rechambered, no.

Rebarreled, possibly depending on the rifle make/model.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:15 AM
Spike

Well I don't know what it called it a friend's gun I know it from nouth Africa from the 50
Old 05-23-2017, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

7.92 x 57 ? The big question is why would you want to? FMJ practice ammo is readily available and cheap. Hunting ammo is maybe 25% higher than a 30 06. Ballistics for the .308/30 06 are not that much better.

All in all the 8 MM Mauser round is a good hunting choice for most anything, other than small game.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 05-23-2017 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:03 PM
Spike

Mostly because we were thinking 8mm was getting hard to find but if it is still around in good numbers might just look harder just wondering does anyone know if any American company's make 8mm
Old 06-02-2017, 06:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hornady, Nosler, and Winchester make 8mm Mauser (8x57mm) ammunition. Good USA hunting ammunition can be difficult to find sometimes but it is out there.

The most common (inexpensive) modification of the 8mm Mauser in the USA is almost certainly simply reaming the chamber to 8mm-06. The 8mm-06 ammo can easily be made from 30-06 brass if your friend is a handloader.

A gunsmith would have to check the diameter of the barrel to make sure it really measures .323" and if the action was in good enough condition for the additional power.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:27 AM
Spike

Ok thanks if American company's make it might have to look again he just got it because it was cool looking and cheap it can hit at pretty good rang he watched the guy he got it off of use it to kill a black bear at 300 yard's and drop it in it tracks me and him both have been thinking about learning to do handloding so might be a good one to learn
Old 06-15-2017, 02:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

All the american .30s are .308 bullet diameter, whereas 7.92x57 (8mm Mauser and others), are .323. There's no way to simply rechamber to a smaller bore unless you want to have the existing barrel reamed, then put a smaller caliber liner in the barrel. I can see the advantages of this if you want a "sleeper" (a factory stock looking rifle that performs much better by having a match quality custom barrel liner). Otherwise it's not really practical since by the time you buy a barrel liner, reaming the old barrel to the larger liner inside diameter for the liner, then installing the liner/& anchoring it, you'll usually be out at least twice what you would have in a barrel right off the bat.
Old 09-02-2017, 03:27 PM
Spike

I have a vz24 mauser. I usually buy ppu fmj for target practice and Remington for hunting. I would feel very comfortable using it for whitetail or hogs. Ide leave it how it is