Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
Laminated Stock: Is Barrel Channel Sealed? >

Laminated Stock: Is Barrel Channel Sealed?

Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Laminated Stock: Is Barrel Channel Sealed?

Old 05-11-2017, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Laminated Stock: Is Barrel Channel Sealed?

I've never taken my rifle action and barrel off of the stock, and I've had it for about 11 years now.
Since it has a laminated stock, I've never been worried about rain affecting the wooden parts, but I have been concerned about the barrel channel area. I just cannot find a straightforward answer online as to whether this part is sealed. I surely hope it is, since I have hunted in wet weather a few times and definitely shot it when it was humid.
Since the barrel of my Remington 673 is bedded in two places (according to Chuck Hawks' review of the model awhile back), I cannot really just slip a silicone cloth in the barrel channel to wipe it. The first screw in the forearm always gets in the way.

I know I should know how to take apart the bolt and remove the firing pin (I of course know how to remove the bolt, itself), but having never seen anyone do this, I am concerned about messing it up. Nobody in my family knows how to do this on a rifle, so I've never been shown how it's done. Even if the wood is sealed, there's always good reason to lubricate the surface of the barrel, itself, and it would be good to learn to do this, no doubt.
I guess knowing the stock is sealed would set my mind at ease somewhat, and if not, knowing what the next steps are.
Old 05-11-2017, 12:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well younggun, IMO, you should take your action out of the stock at the end of every hunting season as a minimum to wipe it down and give it a light oil wipe. Especially if it's a blued action. Even stainless steel can develop corrosion if left untreated. Eleven years is a long time to leave an action in the stock.
But to answer your question yes the barrel channel should be sealed.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll definitely plan this summer on watching some YouTube videos on how to remove a Remington action from a stock, and then consult the manual of my gun for specifics.

But I am glad I don't have to worry about wood warping.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:46 PM
Fork Horn

I also recommend removing the barrel action from the stock especially after hunting in the rain. I hope you won't find any rust!!

It shouldn't be a big deal to remove it, but if your not comfortable doing it, might want to have a gunsmith look at it for you.