Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
MatchGrade Stock Stabilizer kit and Bedding Compound Kit >

MatchGrade Stock Stabilizer kit and Bedding Compound Kit

Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

MatchGrade Stock Stabilizer kit and Bedding Compound Kit

Old 08-29-2015, 12:37 PM
Spike

Default MatchGrade Stock Stabilizer kit and Bedding Compound Kit

Im thinking about using MatchGrade Bedding and Stabilizer Compound kit for my Remington 700 SPS 300 Win Mag. Has anyone used this? Is it a good option? It's a little pricey coming from New Zealand, but seems pretty legit. Hoping to get some good responses back on this.

Also, How beneficial is the Stabilizing compound kit?

Any advise is appreciated.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm sure there's nothing wrong with it, but I don't really see anything about it that would make it be particularly better than any other pour-able epoxy out there, or any other bedding compound on the market, for that matter.

Generally, when I "stabilize" a synthetic stock, I don't just fill it full of epoxy - like the MatchGrade recommendations - I install an aluminum or steel "backbone" to stiffen the stock.

I don't usually like bedding compound to be so runny as what I've seen of the MatchGrade product. It's not a big deal to add thickener like silica powder, but it's also not my favorite thing either.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
I'm sure there's nothing wrong with it, but I don't really see anything about it that would make it be particularly better than any other pour-able epoxy out there, or any other bedding compound on the market, for that matter.

Generally, when I "stabilize" a synthetic stock, I don't just fill it full of epoxy - like the MatchGrade recommendations - I install an aluminum or steel "backbone" to stiffen the stock.

I don't usually like bedding compound to be so runny as what I've seen of the MatchGrade product. It's not a big deal to add thickener like silica powder, but it's also not my favorite thing either.

Runny compound is hard to work with.
Steel bedding is best.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...ing%20compound