Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing
Repairing clear coat? >

Repairing clear coat?

Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Repairing clear coat?

Old 01-30-2015, 07:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default Repairing clear coat?

I got a 1968 Rem 700 adl that i'm looking to convert to bdl and reblue it, so I found a bdl deluxe stock that is used but looks like brand newand the only blemish is a chip missing from the clear coat on the ebony tip. Can i repair in chip without stripping the clear completely off or does it all need to be redone to look right?
Old 01-31-2015, 04:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

have you considered a black ice finish on your rifle i am working on a project gun right now and plan on the black ice finish. as far as the finish you might be able to do the repair with out stripping but you might have to do a light sand on the whole stock and re coat the whole stock depending on how the repair comes out and how perfect you want the stock to be when finished??
Old 02-07-2015, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I suppose it really depends what the existing finish might be.

For what it's worth, you wouldn't hurt anything to wipe thin layers, one after the other, of cyanoacrylate onto the stock over the chip. You'll have to sand/polish it out to an even finish, but you can pretty easily fill in chips in that way. I do it all the time on coyote calls. I use the blue "rags in a box" like automotive shop towels to apply the coats, using a fresh portion of the rag for each layer.