Community
Gunsmithing Discuss repairs, modifications, designs, or building firearms here.

Rusting Question

Old 11-23-2014, 07:01 AM
Spike

Default Rusting Question

I often worry about the internal parts of my rifles/shotguns rusting when im hunting in the rain. When my gun gets wet, I do the best I can to wipe it down and oil it up. I just worry about all the internals I cant really get to. Does the factory protect these parts so its not a big deal?

Thanks for your replies
Old 11-23-2014, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Break them down (to the point you feel comfortable), wipe them down & oil them up.

A air compressor and "breakfree" can help a lot.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:56 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Sheridan
Break them down (to the point you feel comfortable), wipe them down & oil them up.

A air compressor and "breakfree" can help a lot.
This is what I do with my shotguns that are used for sea duck hunting in the ocean. The guns are covered in saltwater after the hunt. No rust in 10 years following the above advise.
Old 11-24-2014, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

they have that spray cleaner that dries up and lubes by it's self can't remember the name because i don't need it but you should be able to use the nosel and squirt that in the areas you can't get to.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

warm them up so the heat dries them, much like when you use hot water on a muzzleloader when they get hot, the heat they hold will dry them, then spay with corrosion x, best rust inhibitor I ever used
RR