Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Gunsmithing > Gunsmithing Projects & Techniques
MatchGrade Stock Stabilizer kit and Bedding Compound Kit >

MatchGrade Stock Stabilizer kit and Bedding Compound Kit

Gunsmithing Projects & Techniques Reference material for step by step projects and gunsmithing techniques

MatchGrade Stock Stabilizer kit and Bedding Compound Kit

Old 08-29-2015, 02:37 PM
Spike

Default MatchGrade Stock Stabilizer kit and Bedding Compound Kit

Im thinking about using MatchGrade Bedding and Stabilizer Compound kit for my Remington 700 SPS 300 Win Mag. Has anyone used this? Is it a good option? It's a little pricey coming from New Zealand, but seems pretty legit. Hoping to get some good responses back on this.

Also, How beneficial is the Stabilizing compound kit?

Any advice is appreciated.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your other thread asking this same question

Same answer still applies from me.

Pourable epoxies have an advantage over thicker brands for forend stabilization, but they're awful for action bedding, because you can't really get them to stay in place where you need them. It's not prohibitively hard to use thicker brands for forend stiffening though, so generally, I just use the same compound that I used for the action bedding.

As I mentioned in your other thread, I don't like the method of simply filling the forend with epoxy without embedding some kind of "backbone". I route a groove down the center and embed a steel rod or flat-bar, or aluminum V-channel, then bury that in epoxy. Much more stiffness with less total epoxy volume.

I'm sure that the Matchgrade product is just as good as any other pourable epoxy for forend stiffening. There are better products for action bedding - not pourable, and more durable.

Whatever product you use, be sure to rough up the interior of the stock sufficiently to give a good "bite" between the epoxy and stock and degrease the interior sufficiently to ensure good adhesion, otherwise a few years from now you'll be able to pull the barreled action and your epoxy will fall out of the stock like ice cubes from a tray.
Old 09-24-2015, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jcofzf
Also, How beneficial is the Stabilizing compound kit?
I'll reword this - "is it beneficial to stiffen the forend of a synthetic stock?"

Yes. If your forend is flexing, especially if it's able to touch the barrel, then you need to stiffen it.

I'd highly recommend pillar blocking and bedding the action at the same time, to ensure there's no flexion of the stock within the supporting area, and to ensure no tolerance for movement.
Old 09-24-2015, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bed the action and float the barrel and see how you like it before taking other steps. You do not really need the aluminum pillars in a well bedded synthetic stock, but it does help some.

It is possible to stiffen the fore end if it does touch the barrel when you use bags or a bipod but first I would see if it actually does flex enough to be a problem. Do not be too cute when floating the tip of the fore end. Leave a reasonable gap that will allow more than one business card to slide between the barrel and the tip of the stock.

If you ever want to upgrade your 700 there are some really good aftermarket stocks available. Poke around Stocky's Stocks web site for a few ideas. Stocks like the Bell & Carlson Medalist are a big upgrade from the SPS factory stock and are not all that expensive.

For the bedding job I would use Devcon or Accuglass Gel from Brownell's. If you do decide to stiffen the fore end the advice that Nomercy has given you is the best way to accomplish it.