Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Looking For Good Rifle >

Looking For Good Rifle

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Looking For Good Rifle

Old 05-10-2005, 04:19 PM

Default Looking For Good Rifle

I am in the process of selling my rem 700 BDL ss and looking for a really good quality rifle to fulfill all my big game needs. I am pretty much set on a weatherby Mark V synthetic in 7mm mag. Does anyone have any experience or opinions on this rifle?
Old 05-10-2005, 04:50 PM

Default RE: Looking For Good Rifle

Prarie_Boy1
You didn't say, but I'm guessing you're considering the 7mm Weatherby Mag.
Recommend, instead, you get a rifle chambered for the far more common 7mm Remington Magnum cartridge. Ammo is more readily available, and cheaper.
Also, you won't lose much in velocity vs. the proprietary magnum cartridge (100fps+/-).
And, an added benefit, you can get the 7mm Rem.Mag. in any number of good rifles by
Remington, Ruger, Sako, Savage, Winchester, etc., and Weatherby too.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:07 PM

I actually meant just the plain old 7mm rem Mag. What im more interested in is information about the weatherby mark V synthetic. Thanks for the reply though Virginia.
Old 05-10-2005, 05:19 PM

PB1,
The Weatherby MKV is a high quality firearm. I have owned quite a few of them. Having said that, I have also ended up selling or trading every one of them. They just don't measure up. I love the quality, but the rifle just doesn't give me that warm fuzzy feeling. I know that sounds weird but I keep buying them because I really like the looks of the MKV, but I never keep one more than one hunting season. If you're going to spend the Weatherby bucks, take a look at Sako, you won't be sorry. Hey if you end up with a Weatherby and like it, congratulations. they are a fine weapon.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:43 PM
Fork Horn

I have one in 300 Wby mag. I like the short throw and the groups this gun shoots. It out shoots both my Browning A-bolt and Tikka Whitetail Hunter. I also tested one out against a Sako 75 (another good gun). The Mark V was the better shooting gun for me. I also looked at the Sauer 202 and Steyer SBS (also good models).
Old 05-10-2005, 07:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am pretty much set on a weatherby Mark V synthetic in 7mm mag. Does anyone have any experience or opinions on this rifle?
Look at a Sako 75 ...better barrel and a smoother action and trigger. Their accuracy guarantee is 5 shots 1" or better. I have yet to see a 75 that doesn't do this with factory ammo..
Old 05-10-2005, 07:56 PM
bigcountry

I second OEH. He made a believer out of me. Now I am looking to pay over 1K for a rifle again.[:@]

Old 05-10-2005, 08:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

You probably already have the best rifle. I agree with the poll. However I like the Brownings almost as well. I have a couple Sako's. Great rifles but in my book, Nowhere near worth the extra bucks. Don't kill big game one bit better than a Savage or Remington.
Old 05-10-2005, 08:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

You probably already have the best rifle. I agree with the poll. However I like the Brownings almost as well. I have a couple Sako's. Great rifles but in my book, Nowhere near worth the extra bucks.
Not if he has a remington does he have the best rifle far far far from it. The new ones are inconsistent at best in quality. The older ones can be converted to a nice custom rifle but then your talking more then any Sako. James accept them for what they are the best production rifle under 1200 dollars sold today.
Old 05-10-2005, 11:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I own 2 Weatherby Mark V's, and between 3 friends they own 5 Weatherby Mark V's together, and they all shoot under 1.00" and better. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Looking For Good Rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.