Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Remington 7400 in .308 Problem Pt 2 >

Remington 7400 in .308 Problem Pt 2

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington 7400 in .308 Problem Pt 2

Old 03-08-2005, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Remington 7400 in .308 Problem Pt 2

Hi guys,

I did end up getting the Rem 7400 in .308 from my cousin. I thoroughly cleaned out the barrel and sprayed the action down with cleaner and wiped it as thoroughly as I could. So it is pretty clean.

Here are some questions.

1) Can someone with a Rem 7400 tell me if your rifle is doing the following. With the magazine in, lock the action back. Place your hand and some upward pressure on the magazine and hit the action release button located on the magazine. The action will not cycle on my rifle in this situation. Does it cycle on yours?

2) How do I go about cleaning out the gas system?

This rifle was very abused. When I cleaned out the barrel it was so dirty. Lots of blue coming out of the barrel and just very dirty patches.

The problem that this rifle is having, second hand info, is that it jams on the second shot.

Any help you guys could provide would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tom
Old 03-08-2005, 02:24 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Remington 7400 in .308 Problem Pt 2

1) Can someone with a Rem 7400 tell me if your rifle is doing the following. With the magazine in, lock the action back. Place your hand and some upward pressure on the magazine and hit the action release button located on the magazine. The action will not cycle on my rifle in this situation. Does it cycle on yours?

2) How do I go about cleaning out the gas system?

This rifle was very abused. When I cleaned out the barrel it was so dirty. Lots of blue coming out of the barrel and just very dirty patches.

The problem that this rifle is having, second hand info, is that it jams on the second shot.
1. The way it works is the mag has a release buttom or lever. It pushes down the mag to let the action cycle. So pushing up hard is defeating your purpose.

2. Use compressed air and pipe cleaners to clean it out with the bolt locked back.

Lastly check to see if when you are tightening the forarm screw if you are putting pressure on the barrel. Way to see is, put the forarm on with no screw. Can you pull the front loose (where the screw goes in) or is the forarm sitting on the barrel gas port fitting? If there is no pressure on the barrel gas port then when you tighten the forarm screw you are lifting up the barrel and your shots will string.

Check out this report I did on it.

http://forum.hunting.net/asppg/tm.as...y=7400&#904075

Old 03-08-2005, 04:02 PM

STAT,
I'VE BEEN USING 7400'S OR THEIR KIN(740,742,4) FOR MANY YEARS. WITH REFERENCE TO YOUR HANG UP POST SECOND SHOT... WHAT TYPE OF AMMO ARE YOU PUTTING THROUGH IT? HANDLOADS, FACTORY? SECONDARILY, WHAT TYPE OF CARTRIDGE, I.E. PSP'S, BALLISTIC TIP, ETC? I FIND THAT IN THE ABSENCE OF A REALLY FILTHY CHAMBER, THE PROBLEM IS USUALLY THE CARTRIDGE TYPE. TRY BALLISTIC TIP AMMO AND NOTHING HOT LOADED.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Heres another thing to keep an eye on also...sounds funny but it works. Make sure the shells in the clip are lined up equally straight. Helps a ton with feeding.
Old 03-09-2005, 02:38 AM

STAT,
I ABSOLUTELY CONCUR WITH DOE DUMPER. IT IS IMPERATIVE YOU ENSURE THE SHELLS LINE UP AND ARE SEATED AS FAR TO THE REAR AS POSSIBLE.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will be shooting it this weekend for the first time. I will let you all know how it goes. First I will be cleaning the gas system which I will do on Thursday.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hi All,

I need some more info about this gun. I was looking for the gas system and I believe I found it under the barrel. It looks like a silver nipple attached to a square box. Is that it?

I locked the action back and put the pipe cleaner in there but it was pretty clear. Only minor amounts of dust.

Is there another place that I should be looking to clean?

Thanks
Tom
Old 03-18-2005, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Need some quidence. Please see above post.

Thanks
Tom
Old 03-19-2005, 10:24 PM
bigcountry

I need some more info about this gun. I was looking for the gas system and I believe I found it under the barrel. It looks like a silver nipple attached to a square box. Is that it?
Yep, thats it. The only problem is you can't get up in the barrel with that gas port. Thats the reason I used compressed air to blow out anything. Just make sure the action is nice and smooth.

Old 03-21-2005, 09:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

I went to the range this weekend and the rifle wouldn't fire. I took the round out and it would dry fire but it wouldn't live fire. I tried this several times with and without magazine. Any body got a clue?

Thanks
Tom

Quick Reply: Remington 7400 in .308 Problem Pt 2

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.