Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Gun for Hogs/Javelina >

Gun for Hogs/Javelina

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun for Hogs/Javelina

Old 02-14-2005, 07:41 PM

Default Gun for Hogs/Javelina

I will be hunting wild hogs/Javelina in TX in March and need advice on what rifle is needed. I have a 280 Remington that I reload with 140 BT and 160 Nosler Partitions. Also, an older 30-06 Springfield that I have reloaded over the years with bullets from 150-180 grains. The Outfitter says the 280 BT will do too much damage to the Javelina, and may not penetrate on the hog. On any day, either might be encountered. So, what do I carry? One compromise would be to use the 280 with 160 the Nosler Partition. I also have a 225 Winchester in the box, but since it has never been fired, I hate to break it out for this. Also, I do not want to purchase another rifle. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:22 PM

Default RE: Gun for Hogs/Javelina

i think that they 280 would work for both with the 140. just my opinon
Old 02-14-2005, 09:12 PM

A really, really, giant javelina might go 40 lbs, on the hoof. Run of the mill hogs might weigh 200. It sure is a tough problem, unless you wanted to carry two different pistols.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:15 PM
Typical Buck

Either the 280 or the .30-06 will get the job done just fine. I WOULD advise not using the Ballistic tip bullets though. I've had BAD luck with them on hogs in .308win. They tend to explode on impact - leaving MASSIVE entry wounds & sub-caliber exit holes. Any good standard bullet for either rifle will work fine - the Partitions, Sierra Gamekings, Barnes Triple Shocks, or even the old Rem Core-Lokts will put Porky right on the ground.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Hunter401
I will be hunting wild hogs/Javelina in TX in March and need advice on what rifle is needed. I have a 280 Remington ..... Also, an older 30-06 Springfield ..... Also, I do not want to purchase another rifle. Any advice would be appreciated.
Either of the two, the 280Rem. or your 30-06, should work just fine. But, I'd stay away
from the BT bullets. Nosler Partitions should be fine, as would most other standard bullets such as Rem. Core-Lokts.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am going on a hog hunt (my first) in March in Tenn. I asked this same question, and after many responces and talking with guides etc. have settled on using my 760 pump, in 30-06 with 180 gr Nosler Accubonds, they have all said that i will get the penetration I need plus will hold together well also. My backup gun I am taking is my 870 with 3" Brenneke slugs. I figure, if I cant knock a hog down with one of them two, I shouldnt be hunting. As far a the javalina, I dont know what to say, i dont know how much damage a 180 accubond would do to one, it may pass right through.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

ditto what everybody else said, but if you shoot a javalina with either of those guns its gonna stink to high heaven, oh wait a minute they stink anyway
Old 02-14-2005, 10:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Howdy Hunter401 and welcome to the forums!

I would just take whatever gun you shoot best in whatever load your gun shoots best. Either one is capable of providing a clean kill on most anything Texas has to offer.

ditto what everybody else said, but if you shoot a javalina with either of those guns its gonna stink to high heaven, oh wait a minute they stink anyway
The hogs don't smell any better. Any hog I've ever shot (or helped fetch that somebody else shot) that weighed over about 100 or so pounds stunk so bad that nobody could do anything with them.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Javeline are stupid and blind, hogs are just blind and nocturnal, Both are easily stalked to within bow range. Get a different rifle and make some fun out of it. Grab a .222 or something and stalk them an pop them behind the ear. Actually a .222 is more than enough for a javeline with a body shot.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:12 PM

Any gun you have talked about here will work fine. I've taken 200LB+ pigs with all those listed and dropped em in their tracks. Take the one you can drive tacks with.

.357 185gr under 50yards
.260 120gr
.270 130gr
7RM 139gr

Right behind the ear. But I have also taken a bunch with shots to the boiler room, head on shots, and even a shot through the shoulder on a 250lb using the 7RM. Mind you no pass through on it but he dropped on the spot.

BTW. . . .ferral pigs see just fine. . .the reason folks think they can't see so well is there heads are low, so you can get lots closer than with Deer etc. I guy who keeps these guys around tells me they can tell one person from another at over 50 yards. They are noisy eaters too so I enjoy crawling right up on them using open sights. A prone shot at 15 yards while having a 200lb pig snort at you does get your heart pumping.

Quick Reply: Gun for Hogs/Javelina

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.