Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Long guns for long people >

Long guns for long people

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Long guns for long people

Old 01-14-2005, 02:29 PM

Default Long guns for long people

This may be a FAQ, but are there recommended models of guns for taller people?
I know you are all going to say that I have to get a custom stock, but are there
better guns to start out with? Or, if one is on a budget, are there lines that are
already good for tall people? I'm 6'7" (2 meters) tall and I'm interested in a bolt
action rifle (.270 or 30-06) and an o/u shotgun (12 or 20 gauge).

Thanks for any advice.
Frank
Old 01-14-2005, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Long guns for long people

You just need add a spacer between the pad and stock to get the right LOP.
I would try adding a 1/2 inch spacer to start with and see how it feels , add more if you want in 1/4 inch jumps.
I would use wood for the spacers .
After you find the lenght you like finish off the spacer to match either the wood or the pad.
Old 01-15-2005, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can either put in spacers between the butt plate and stock or add a recoil pad. In an o/u or a high powered bolt like the guns you're after, no one will make fun of you for adding a recoil pad. And if it adds the necessary pull that you're after, who cares what anyone thinks. (if you add a recoil pad to a .22lr, I suggest you don't go out in public much [8D] ).

My dad's uncles are all five between 6' 2" and 6' 10", but they're all kind of long armed (you're supposed to have a wingspan equal to your height), my uncle Ronnie is 6' 5" and has a 7' 3" wingspan...he shoots O/U's for clay games a lot, he just uses a recoil pad on most guns, but his clay game guns, he does the following...

Get an exacto knife and some leather from a saddle shop or hobby lobby, preferably 1/8" or so (8oz) veg tanned stuff...cut out several copies of oblonged coins the same shape as your butt plate. Paint the end of your buttstock's wood (under the butt plate). Figure out how many shims you need, then contact cement them together and oil them with furniture oil. Drill the butt plate holes trough them and mount them under the butt plate. You can dye them in an alternating light and dark pattern and it really makes a cool look. If you really want to get into it, you can cement them to the butt stock permenantly, sand your stock a bit, and put on a coat of hard laquer to really make it look neat.

It's a lot of work, but it turns out a LOT better looking than any shims I've seen, but if it's not your thing, a good recoil pad or aftermarket shims are a good, inexpensive way to go. You could also consider adding a target rifle butt stock extension, but it would be very expensive.
Old 01-15-2005, 09:19 PM

I suggest you go to a gun shop and shoulder a few guns to see what fits and what does not. Get the sales people to help or bring along an experienced person. I am 6'4" and most every gun I have used fit me pretty well with out altering them, except the addition of a recoil pad. Give a few a try and see what works best for you.