Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

skeet ammo

Old 04-26-2013, 11:21 AM
Spike

Default skeet ammo

Hello, I love to shoot skeet and I've had a hard time finding Winchester AA target loads. I usually use #8 11/8oz. All I could find is Winchester AA #8 11/8oz "heavy target load". On the normal AA is says "light target load". To me is seems that the only difference is 1200fps on the heavy and 1145 on the light. My question is will there be a lot more recoil with the 1200fps loads.

Thanks
Old 04-26-2013, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by NSpeziale
Hello, I love to shoot skeet and I've had a hard time finding Winchester AA target loads. I usually use #8 11/8oz. All I could find is Winchester AA #8 11/8oz "heavy target load". On the normal AA is says "light target load". To me is seems that the only difference is 1200fps on the heavy and 1145 on the light. My question is will there be a lot more recoil with the 1200fps loads.

Thanks
Doubt that it'll make that big of a difference... but you won't know unless you try it out.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Where it may make a difference is with the owners of your club. Mine sez no ammo over 1200 fps or shot larger than #7.

Otherwise, you're not going to notice much difference between the two. You might also consider another brand - unless you do a LOT of reloading. I generally keep a couple league's-worth of Remington STSs loaded up. This lot are on their 6th time around.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:32 PM
Typical Buck

There is a definite recoil difference between the AA "Heavy target loads" and their "Light target loads." These are basically Trap loads.

Why are you shooting such heavy loads for Skeet? Are you shooting registered targets, league, or just fun shooting? It doesn't sound like you are reloading your AA hulls. Have you tried 7/8 oz or even 3/4 oz 12 ga shells for Skeet?

I have shot 7/8 oz 12 ga shells for Skeet for many years, including about 10 years of registered targets where I was Class AA in 12 ga and Class A in Skeet Doubles, all shot with 7/8 oz loads.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:56 AM
Spike

don't know. all the guys I shoot with use 1 1/8oz so that's what ive been using. but the heavy target was all I could find
Old 04-30-2013, 10:05 AM
Typical Buck

I too have always shot 7/8oz loads...occasionally 1oz, but never 1 1/8oz loads for trap or skeet...no need really.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by buffybr
There is a definite recoil difference between the AA "Heavy target loads" and their "Light target loads." These are basically Trap loads.

Why are you shooting such heavy loads for Skeet? Are you shooting registered targets, league, or just fun shooting? It doesn't sound like you are reloading your AA hulls. Have you tried 7/8 oz or even 3/4 oz 12 ga shells for Skeet?

I have shot 7/8 oz 12 ga shells for Skeet for many years, including about 10 years of registered targets where I was Class AA in 12 ga and Class A in Skeet Doubles, all shot with 7/8 oz loads.
The only time I go to 1-1/8th is when I shoot my 25yd HandiCap.

I shoot 7/8ths and 3/4 of 9's for trap for years. And in papers to top that off!!!! With 700X powder.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:37 AM
Fork Horn

I reload and shoot 7/8 oz and 1 o/z and have plenty of speed and breaking power. The lighter the load, the faster the fps, the heavier the load the slower the fps.