Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

22 mag deer

Old 05-14-2013, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by craig
.22 (of any sort) for deer is the experts gun at best, not for a new shooter. And the expert is going to wait for the proper shot placement to be possible.

The .22 rim-fires are used by poachers due to the very low report. The poacher is shooting illegal and so this is a big point in favor of the .22 mag. But poachers also waste a good deal of game this way when a bad hit is made they just drive on.

I know a man who, when younger & quite poor, killed a lot of deer with a 222 by shooting them in the head. Local land owners thought nothing of the crack of his rifle as he was always glad to eliminate any chucks the wished to be rid of. He was never caught for this reason. Per this man the 222 when used for a head shot will take off about 1/3 of the top of the deers head..........dead is dead.

I know he also took a deer legally with a 1/9 twist savage 22-250 handloaded with Swift 75 gr. Sirocco bullets. He shot a doe right behind the shoulder taking out the top of the heart & punching through both lungs as well. Deer still ran for 80yds however, which shows that even a expert shooter & perfect placed shot has limits on deer sized game. The thing I found of interest with this doe is that the bullet passed through & exited.....with over 2" exit. I was surprise the bullet did not blow up, but it clearly did not.

.22 center-fire rifles are legal in Mi.

Rim-fires are not.

Curious.....what made you drag up an 8 year old thread?
Old 05-14-2013, 11:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by WV Hunter

Old 05-16-2013, 04:32 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
LOL!

Was just reading some topics based on search & forgot to check the age of the thread.

Ooops.
Old 05-23-2013, 01:14 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by mauser06
maybe he was just trying to tell you that even though its small it still has alot of power and you must be carefull even if it is "just a 22" when your out shooting or hunting small game with it.....trying to get the point across that you have to be careful with any weapon....just because its small it still has the power to go far and kill.......i highly doubt any insturctor was telling you to hunt deer with a 22.....
I would think this is the point that your instructor was trying to make...that a .22 rimfire is not a toy, and that it can kill animals larger than rabbits and squirrels. I don't think he was advocating the .22 Mag as a deer cartridge.

Many .22 rimfire boxes used to have a caution printed on them of "Dangerous within 1 mile."

Montana does not have any caliber restrictions for big game hunting. You can legally hunt deer or elk or whatever with a .22 rimfire. I also do not advocate hunting deer with .22 rimfires, but I have killed more than a few mule deer with .22 LR cartridges. All were one shot kills, and shot at under 50 yds, and none were wounded and lost.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

"Montana does not have any caliber restrictions for big game hunting. You can legally hunt deer or elk or whatever with a .22 rimfire. I also do not advocate hunting deer with .22 rimfires, but I have killed more than a few mule deer with .22 LR cartridges. All were one shot kills, and shot at under 50 yds, and none were wounded and lost."

***Why do people have to come on a hunting forum discussing less than adequate cartridges for big game hunting with comments like that?!!! With all the calibers that can be used for humane kills on game it sure doesn't make any sense to me to use a 22LR on a big animal like a deer.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 05-23-2013 at 05:25 PM.