Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

SAKO RIFLES

Old 12-21-2004, 10:23 AM

Default SAKO RIFLES

Does anyone know more about the SAKO rifles that were blowing up, I recently bought 2 a SAKO 75 SS 7MM ULTRA & STAINLESS HUNTER in 7 STW, are these part of this mess?. Is this a real problem or isolated incident.

THANKS
Old 12-21-2004, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: SAKO RIFLES

From what I've been able to gather, the problem is limited only to the FinnLights with the fluted stainless barrels, and not the standard unfluted stainless barrels of the other Sako 75's.

It seems that Sako/Tikka got a bad batch of barrel blanks from their foundry that had impurities/inclusions than made the barrels have weak spots, and the problem is isolated to a small run of consecutive serial numbers for Sako FinnLights and Tikka T3 stainless models.

Call BerettaUSA with your serial numbers and ask them. (800) 636-3420

Mike
Old 12-21-2004, 10:43 AM

Sako & Tikka rifles are imported by BerettaUSA. As previously noted, suggest you contact them. Here is a link to the customer service website page:

Link: http://www.berettausa.com/customer/index.htm
Old 12-21-2004, 11:38 AM
bigcountry

If you got those two models, I doubt they are affected. I got a STW. Better call and give em your serial number anyway. I think it is isolated to finlights and some T3's in Canada and Europe.

Old 12-21-2004, 09:04 PM

http://www.thegunzone.com/rifles-kb.html
Old 12-21-2004, 11:24 PM

The recalled rifles are MUCH fewer and far between than the naysayin "netters" would have you believe. This story has been "blown" quite literally out of proportion (pun or not). Yes there was a bad batch of stainless that unfortunately was built into barrels of a few guns. BUT everyone who is jealous of Sako is jumping on the chance and leading many to believe that ANYTHING past, present or future with Sako's name on it is a POS. Thats the farthest thing from the truth. Call Beretta or your local dealer (with your serial number in hand) and check it our for yourself. And once you are told by them that you are ok, forget the incident and enjoy one of THE finest rifles on the planet. Remember, everyone is still scrambling to put "1.5" groups @ 100yds, guaranteed" in the advertising. Sako's leave the factory guaranteed to shoot under 1" PERIOD or they dont leave!!!

My TRG-S is a Stoeger era (99, I missed em by a year) but I wouldn't hesitate to own one today. In fact, right now I am so pissed with Kimber's dealer service that I may forgo my plans for a Montana and instead go back with my original plans of a Finn-Lite.

Good luck,
RA
Old 12-22-2004, 05:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes there was a bad batch of stainless that unfortunately was built into barrels of a few guns. BUT everyone who is jealous of Sako is jumping on the chance and leading many to believe that ANYTHING past, present or future with Sako's name on it is a POS.
Bingo . And all this negativity still wouldn't keep me from buying one..I still buy Remingtons and they have had 20,000 trigger related incidents with their rifles.
Old 12-22-2004, 11:19 AM

Well, just so you guys know, it's not just in Canada, Europe, or fluted barrels. I have a Tikka T3 .30-06 and I called the other day. The lady came on the phone and said DO NOT FIRE THE GUN because it's being recalled. Apparently, it was a bad batch of steel used for the Sako/Tikka rifles, so if you've bought one after Feb 2004, call the number. Generally, the recalls have been in the 400000 serial number range. They are just replacing the rifles outright (atleast mine).

Don't get me wrong, I love my gun, I just can't believe there's nothing on either website, no press releases or anything. How irresponsible.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

I like Sako rifles and I have one. It does go to show however that laying out big bucks don't guarantee you a thing. That goes with for any products, not just guns.