Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Bullet selection for 270wsm >

Bullet selection for 270wsm

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Bullet selection for 270wsm

Old 12-19-2004, 09:46 PM

Default Bullet selection for 270wsm

Since using Remington Core-Lokt for the past 20+ years I have decided to jump on the wsm bandwagon. I now own a Browning A-Bolt .270wsm and I am trying to decide on ammo.
I hunt in tight woods and on open pipelines so shots will range approx. out to 100 or so yards in the woods and to 200-250 on the pipelines. I am trying to decide between the Federal Ballistic Tips, Federal Solid Base (both 130gr) and the Federal 140 Accubond. I have concerns the the BT's are not good for close (25-50 yard) shots but I have no experiance with them. I need some advice on which bullet will be good for close wood shots and close to mid-range open shots. Also the deer I hunt range from 100-175 pounds.
I am aware that a .270wsm may be over kill for the woods but the gun I wanted (Browning Classic Hunter) in chambered only in the wsm's now.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Bullet selection for 270wsm

I would definetly use the accubond.

The BT can be somewhat explosive at the velocites the WSM will be firing them.

Sight it in 2 inches high at 100 yards and you will be +- 3 inches to about 315 yards.
Old 12-20-2004, 06:04 AM

I have a .270 WSM and use 130 gr Nossler BST. I would not say they are "explosive" at close range but if you heavy hit bone at close range they will expand rapidly and make one heck of a hole. Shot placement is the key, at close range in the vitals the BT bullets still function fine. The accubond is still a BT bullet, supposedly just tougher for heavier skin game, that seems to kill the long range potential of the bullet. The whole point of the BT is to fly accurately long range and expand properly at that longer range with less velocity.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

The accubond has a thicker jacket and the lead core is bonded to the jacket. It is still shaped just like a BT.
Old 12-20-2004, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have no complaints for the BT's, I use them in my 7mmMag and 7mm-08. I have shot deer from 30 yds. to 250 yds. with these guns with BT's and have not had any problems.
Old 12-20-2004, 08:25 AM
bigcountry

For deer, it won't matter. Hit em close, they are going down with a BT. Yes the bullet will pancake and cause all sorts of damage but I bet you you won't have a problem. They myths on the internet about this bullet is out of control. But if you so desire, and can get them flying just as good, some insurance could be the Accubond. Either way in yoru situation, if you hit in the shoulder, chest, or what you should be aiming at, the boiler room, deer going to be dead. The 270WSM isn't that much performance than 270Win. I can get 3050fps with a 130gr bullet in a 270win.

Old 12-20-2004, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree the NBT is a good deer bullet and yes expect a intense hole when pushed at high velocities or meeting bone but they will work just fine. I have shot them close and far in a variety of chamberings the end results always being the same a dead deer in a short manner!

The AB in my case suffered no such loss of accuracy or down range trajectory in my 7 rem mag and I think it would equally be a solid choice for your needs. 160 AB punched through a Bull Moose and Elk this fall with no problems for me, so I have no doubt in my mind it will effectively take any deer.

Best is let the rifle tell you which one to shoot, I always pick the most accurate bullet for the requirements. In this case either will suffice.
Old 12-20-2004, 12:04 PM

I have the Accubonds now. I will have to see how the 140gn does a close range.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:07 PM

Federal also has the new Barnes Triple Shock loads in 130 gr that would be great for deer size game. If it were me (and it will be one day, I want a 270wsm) I'd use the Winchester Accubond loads unless the Federal Triple Shock loads just shot better. These are 2 great bullets IMO
Old 12-20-2004, 07:25 PM

Your gun should make that decision (which bullet) for you, and you can easily tell once you shoot them to establish groups. Every bullet mentioned previously isn't worth squat if it is not accurate in YOUR rifle, particularly if you're gonna shoot at stuff out to 300-400 yards. Do yourself (and the animal) a favor, get a few different boxes of ammo (brands and bullets), and shoot some groups. You will then know which bullet is the most accurate in YOUR rifle. good hunting!

Quick Reply: Bullet selection for 270wsm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.