Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Question on pillar bedding >

Question on pillar bedding

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Question on pillar bedding

Old 12-15-2004, 05:30 PM
Fork Horn

Default Question on pillar bedding

I can see pillar bedding an action where the magazine is attached to the receiver (like a 700 ADL). If you have a detachable magazine (like an A-Bolt) , when you raise the receiver/barrel, will the cartridges still line up and feed correctly?
Old 12-15-2004, 06:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Question on pillar bedding

When you pillar bed an action the pillars are typically left long and then machined down on a mill to the correct height after they have been epoxied in place.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:04 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks. I had read an article about pillar bedding along with free floating the barrel and in the pictures, it looked like the action was raised a little. They wrapped a couple of wraps of electrical tape around the action and the barrel before seating it in the epoxy.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's the cheap, cheasey and easy way to do it and usually results in less than appealing visual asthetics.

To do it properly you should, if you do not have access to a mill, measure everything perfectly and exactly the thickness of the wood between the bottom metal and receiver. Once you have done that you need to drill out the action screw holes about ten thousandths over the size of your pillar. Screw the pillars to the receiver useing your action screws. Use modeling clay to plug up any holes and crevices that you do not want bedding compound to get into. Wax the receiver and the very bottom of the pillars and action screws, and also the inletting for the bottom metal (furniture wax will keep the bedding compound from sticking to it). Tape up the rest fo the wood with masking tape. Useing your favorite bedding compound cote the inside of your holes and cote the pillars also. Insert the receiver with the pillars attached into the holes and clamp the receiver in place with bar clamps (protect the wood with something so you do not dent it). Wipe off any excess and allow to dry for 24 hours.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:14 PM

Is there a gunsmith you would recommend to do these things? I'd even ship out if it's not local to me. I'd also like to know more on lapping the rings, etc. as these are all things that I have read about and seem to make a marked difference for the better. Any advice?
Thanks!

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

That's the cheap, cheasey and easy way to do it and usually results in less than appealing visual asthetics.

To do it properly you should, if you do not have access to a mill, measure everything perfectly and exactly the thickness of the wood between the bottom metal and receiver. Once you have done that you need to drill out the action screw holes about ten thousandths over the size of your pillar. Screw the pillars to the receiver useing your action screws. Use modeling clay to plug up any holes and crevices that you do not want bedding compound to get into. Wax the receiver and the very bottom of the pillars and action screws, and also the inletting for the bottom metal (furniture wax will keep the bedding compound from sticking to it). Tape up the rest fo the wood with masking tape. Useing your favorite bedding compound cote the inside of your holes and cote the pillars also. Insert the receiver with the pillars attached into the holes and clamp the receiver in place with bar clamps (protect the wood with something so you do not dent it). Wipe off any excess and allow to dry for 24 hours.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

I would reccomend myself but I am not set up to do it properly yet. I would not want to attempt it unless I could do it right.

Hopefully within this next year I will be able to do just about anything one should need.

I did know of a couple of people in Denver but they have since sold and moved to companies such as Nesica Bay.

I'd also like to know more on lapping the rings,
I assume you mean lap the lugs??? The best way to do it is to remove the barrel and attach a lapping fixture to your receiver. After that you basically just use lapping compound on the lugs until both are making 80% or more contact on the lug seats.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:29 PM

Excellent! Tell me when your shop is setup and I'll send my baby away ASAP. :-)
My apologies, I was not specific, dolt that I am sometimes...
I meant lapping the rings for the scope. I believe I read that this is good to do to remove pressure(s) on the scope when mounting it. I'll try to find the link where I read this.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:31 PM

Found this from another thread:
http://riflestocks.tripod.com/

Applies to the bedding.