Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Anybody own a Kimber? >

Anybody own a Kimber?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Anybody own a Kimber?

Old 12-14-2004, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Anybody own a Kimber?

I'm thinking of buying a Kimber 8400 as my next rifle. Would like to read an evaluation of it from anybody who has experience with them.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:17 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: Anybody own a Kimber?

Well, I went thru this a few times. They looked real nice. Wood was so pretty. Just the deal never went thru. There is a guy on accurate reloading with one real cheap. Somebody always had something bad to say about them. And that price was so much.

http://www.accuratereloading.com/ubb...5&o=21&fpart=1

Old 12-15-2004, 05:09 AM

I own an 8400 in .270 WSM, I as well have gone around full circle with many folks on the subject so I will simply offer my first hand opinion based on years of experience and professional traiining.
Accuracy- From a bench vise and using a remote trigger actuator and factory ammo (Winchester 130 gr BST) it will fire constant sub 5/8" 5 shot 100 yard groups. No human error involved, handloads are ever so slightly more accurate.
Weight- Very light, easy to handle, and considering the weight the recoil is mild.
Finish- Exceptional fit and finish, you will know that you are not handling a rifle you just plucked off the shelf at Outdoor World. (and the wood is awful pretty)
Trigger- Light, clean, and crisp, I would compair it to a middle-high end match trigger, it is adjustiable.

The price is up there but you can not compare this rifle to the Rem 700. How much would you have to pay to get a match grade barrel, match trigger, grade A hand finished walnut stock, glass bedded recoil lug, and a true free floated barrel on a Remington or any other rifle? This is a custom rifle at an affordable price, look at other US made custom rifles like Cooper, Dakota,McMillan/US Gun Works, or Harris (there are many others) thousands more than the Kimber, you can get the classic Kimber for under $1000. What you get for the money is an exceptional value. Don't know why folks like to trash the Kimber but I have yet to read a solid answer other than I just don't like them.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Everything USMC PMI said..unbelievable value for the money. I went to a pretty well stocked gunshop the other day and He had a Montana in 270WSM on hand and a NULA 7-08 on hand( He has been selling ULA/NULA rifles for years BTW . There was 1400 dollars difference between the 2 . Since NULA makes the MOntana stock how can one justify the 1400 dollars difference. I sure can't and that goes for these guys selling the 3000 dollar and up so -called semi custom rifles..McMillan,ED Brown etc etc. I would like to see one of them come close in value to a Kimber. Personally I find them a little lightweight to be chambered in my cartridge of choice(300wsm) and since I have enough medium magnums to last me a lifetime I don't need a 270 WSM but if I had no guns and wanted one gun for anything I doubt I could beat a Kimber 8400 Wood or Glass in 270WSM just no way I could.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

How much would you have to pay to get a match grade barrel, match trigger, grade A hand finished walnut stock, glass bedded recoil lug, and a true free floated barrel on a Remington or any other rifle?

I have no experience with Kimber rifles, but there are rifles out there that have a bedded recoil lug, beautiful stock and a truely free floated barrel.....I've got a Browning in my cabinet with all those features and it's striaght off the rack. The trigger could be better, but it's not the worst. I don't think Browning advertises 'match barrels', but I can shoot 1/2MOA all day with my 257 and a few groups that are better. I just can't justify the cost of an 8400 when you can get a very similar product for less money.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:05 AM

Why buy a Corvette rather than a Camaro? Both are fast and have similar features but one costs more. A Corvette has slightly better performance and more prestige, the buyer must really appreciate those qualities to justify the expense.

If we are compairing MOA, the Kimber will print a 1/4 MOA @ 100 yards measuring with a 3 shot group.

It is true that factory rifles have steadily improved in preformance which has put the heat on custom gun builders. 15 years ago we wouldn't be having this conversation because an average production rifle was considered excellent if it held 1 MOA or slightly better @ 100 yards.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

[quote][I have no experience with Kimber rifles, but there are rifles out there that have a bedded recoil lug, beautiful stock and a truely free floated barrel.....I've got a Browning in my cabinet with all those features and it's striaght off the rack. The trigger could be better, but it's not the worst/quote]

Your not going to compare the Stock with that of a Kimber now are you? Brownings are not pillar bedded either and don't even compare the trigger. Price a Medallion grade or a STainless STalker in a WSM caliber and then price a Kimber and tell me how much real difference there is. Browning is a good shooter and probably one of the better ones no doubt but not in the Kimbers League. I think USMC is going to eventually get me to buy one of these if he continues with this post.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the replies guys. The cost of the Kimber Classic is in the same range as my Sakos, so that's not a real concern although I may have to put it off until the spring since Christmas is costing me a fortune and I just had to spend almost a grand to have my truck repaired. I'm just wanting to get something new, something that's a step above your average production rifle and something I've never had any experience with before. I also like the idea that this rifle is American made. I hope to get one of the limited edition ones with the French Walnut stock chambered in .300 WSM.

And Jason N, I know the Browning is capable of fine accuracy, I've owned two and they both shot really well. However, I'm just not crazy about the action or stock design.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:17 AM

I would not defend something that hasn't impressed me. To me it is a matter of what you are getting for the money. Like you said, the price really is not that far off that of a top end production rifle but you get more for the money than a pretty finish (usually what you pay for with an upgraded factory rifle). Again, just one man's opinion.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Your not going to compare the Stock with that of a Kimber now are you? Brownings are not pillar bedded either and don't even compare the trigger. Price a Medallion grade or a STainless STalker in a WSM caliber and then price a Kimber and tell me how much real difference there is. Browning is a good shooter and probably one of the better ones no doubt but not in the Kimbers League. I think USMC is going to eventually get me to buy one of these if he continues with this post.
I won't even compare the wood stocks....no comparison at all, but the Browning stocks aren't ugly like some makes. I was only comparind the bedding of the recoil lug. Not being very familiar with Kimber I wasn't aware that they are pillar bedded. Either way I wasn't trying to argue a point as much as I was pointing out that other rifles offer similar for less money. I have no doubt that Kimber offers fine rifles and rightly so you pay for it. Just offering my opinion.

Why buy a Corvette rather than a Camaro? Both are fast and have similar features but one costs more. A Corvette has slightly better performance and more prestige, the buyer must really appreciate those qualities to justify the expense.

If we are compairing MOA, the Kimber will print a 1/4 MOA @ 100 yards measuring with a 3 shot group.

It is true that factory rifles have steadily improved in preformance which has put the heat on custom gun builders. 15 years ago we wouldn't be having this conversation because an average production rifle was considered excellent if it held 1 MOA or slightly better @ 100 yards.
I can afford the Camaro....corvette is way out of my price range! Just offering my opinion though.

Quick Reply: Anybody own a Kimber?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.