Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 explosive 30cal bullet? >

explosive 30cal bullet?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

explosive 30cal bullet?

Old 12-08-2004, 09:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default explosive 30cal bullet?

im looking for a EXPLOSIVE 30cal bullet.....this is going to sound wierd but i want maximum expansion upon impact.....me and my buddy got serious into groundhog hunting last summer....and spring we want to go all out....long range...close range....and make a movie....he got money and will buy a new gun or he got a 260 that works nice.....but all i got is a 22 or a 3006....the 06 works fine using cheap 150gr cheap stuff....it kills em....but his grandfatehr reloads and will load for me if i supply everything....no biggie.....i want a light bullet to get a better trajectory and extend my range....and an explosive bullet......1) i dont like my bullets blowing right through.....the area is farm land but there are houses and roads around.....i dont want a bullet ricechying off the ground behind it or something....and it will make a neat video.....were talking groundhogs here....that are tearing up farm land and if not removed by us they are killed or smoked out or something by the farmers because they are hard on the tractors and ruin alot of field....youd be surprised how much a few of them guys can eat....and what they do all around the holes n such....so i was looking for a explosive LIGHT bullet.....i was thinking a 110gr hornady V-max.....but thats just what i found so far.....and its kinda expenxive at 25-30 bucks for 100 bullets....will light bullets be accurate in a 3006 loaded pretty hot?? will it be safe?? i dont know much about reloading..but hope my idea works....i cant find remington accelerators anywhere? they quit making them?? if oyu can find them post a link or tell me where if theyd be a better choice? i dont know who else makes a light 30cal bullet...i didnt get around to checking yet.....but soon as the snow melts its WWIII on the groundhogs......so anyone have any info? if i had the cash id definently buy a new gun...i want a small caliber rifle someday....but car payment insurance cell phone...gas money..spending money.....going to college in the fall....ya i need to save money lol.......someday...but not now....i got a gun that will work.....and a 3x9x40 leupold sits atop it and works nicely......just need a good bullet....or ill stick with the cheap 150gr stuff if i cant find anything better......thanx alot guys im sure someeeeeone has info....i got kills out to about 300-350yds this year....but we got some fields that go out to 450-500yds......we can see them but shooting at them with our guns is just making brass so far...i came close at about 500yds...after 4 or 5rds.....i blew dirt all over him and he finally ran to his hole.....holding wayyy over him lol......thanx guys......you know im not just trying to blow stuff up.....i have reasons for my bullet choice.....and you know varmint guns do the same....so dont gimme the line on how im not a true hunter just trying to make a mess of a groundhog that didnt do anyhting to me and all that.......its not like that....thanx
Old 12-08-2004, 09:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: explosive 30cal bullet?

Sierra 110 grain hollow point.
http://www.sierrabullets.com/bullets...le&Caliber=.30

Speer 125 grain TNT.
http://www.speer-bullets.com/default.asp?s1=7&s2=27

Hornady 110 grain V-Max.
https://www.hornady.com/shop/
Old 12-08-2004, 10:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd suggest that you consider getting yourself a genuine varmint rifle and be done with it. If you don't have a lot to spend, you can get the NEF rifle in .223 with a heavy bbl. I splatter the little suckers with my Ruger M77VT 22-250 loaded with 50gr Nosler Ballistic Tips on top of 35.7 grains of Varget for a chronyed 3640fps. VERY accurate, and at ranges out to 200 yards (the farthest I've shot one, 206 yards to be exact), they will literally turn a groundhog inside out. It's pretty gruesome, but it kills them very dead, very fast, and that's what I wanted. We had a number of groundhogs at my local range that were undermining the berm. They'd pop out at 200+ yards all the time because very few who frequent the range are able to hit anything at that range, be it because of their rifle, themselves or both. Unfortunately for them, however, a couple of them decided to pop up out of the brush when I was setting up to shoot at 200 yards. It was also unfortunate for them that I had just bought my 2004-2005 license just a couple days before, and that it also happened to be groundhog season.

Little suckers didn't even know what hit em.

Mike
Old 12-09-2004, 09:29 AM

Isn't there a varmint round for the -06 with a sabot and light bullet? Or do they not make them anymore? I know they used to have such a round I think it was called an Expedite or something like that. Very fast and flat from what I understand. I guess accruacy would depend on your gun.

I think the 30-06 is an excellent all around rifle, I don't see why you couldn't varmint hunt well with a lighter bullet designed for that purpose. But like said above the NEF's are fairly well priced work very well. You could get one in .223 or .243 and it would work great. You would have to get a decent scope though and that would add to the price considerably.

If you were talking closer type stuff I would have suggested a 17HMR. I have one and love it, but it is designed for a bit smaller game. I mean it will work on woodchucks, just not at really long distances.

Paul
Old 12-09-2004, 09:34 AM

Sorry they are called accelerators, remington has them listed on thier site. 55 grn at 4080 fps. I think that would work for varmint.

Paul
Old 12-09-2004, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I remember reading that the accuracy of the Accelerators was mediocre at best from most rifles. A handful may shoot them well, but not as well as any .22cal CF varmint rifle.

Mike
Old 12-09-2004, 10:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Any light, hollow-point match bullet would expand like crazy. Soft lead, thin jackets and high velocity would be a great combo. Since groundhogs don't provide as much shooting as prarrie dogs, I would think the .30-06 would be fine. It will be a good way to keep in practice with your deer rifle. We tried Accelerators many years back and weren't impressed with the accuracy.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot Gophers with my 30-06,I use the stuff I hunt with 180 gr bullets and it turns them into red mist.
I would look into the 120-125 gr bullets.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:43 AM

Accuracy with the Accelerators is usually poor. The rifling of a 30-06 is designed for heavier bullets. Usually a 30-06 has a twist of 10". A 22-250 usually has a rate of 14". So the 06 has a twist rate that is very fast for a 55 grain slug. I would try the lighter bullets that bigbulls mentioned above. Might be a happy medium.
Old 12-09-2004, 03:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys ill pick one of them bullets and see if i can have them loaded for sure.......a batch of shells for the year is ALOT cheaper then a new gun and glass......and will work fine im sure....i took 20-25 this year with the aught six....and didnt start hunting till way after the first hay cut.....cant wait for this year......thanx alot

Quick Reply: explosive 30cal bullet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.