Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Howa/Weatherby Vanguard Stainless or Tikka T3 Lite Stainless? >

Howa/Weatherby Vanguard Stainless or Tikka T3 Lite Stainless?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Howa/Weatherby Vanguard Stainless or Tikka T3 Lite Stainless?

Old 11-29-2004, 12:14 PM

Default Howa/Weatherby Vanguard Stainless or Tikka T3 Lite Stainless?

Yes, I have researched and searched and read over 200 threads on here before posting. I know, I'm a newbie here, I expect hazing[8D]
Howa makes the rifles for Weatherby, I'm aware. My question is really, how would I go about getting support for it if something ever went wrong with the Howa? If I buy it under the Weatherby name they seem to have quite an established support structure in place. I see there's a $50-$100 premium for buying the Weatherby labeled one, but is it worth it in peace of mind? There were mentions in some of the threads I read of cosmetic differences between the two, can anyone elaborate on that?
I own a Glock Model 27 and have my concealed weapons permit, been shooting for years with that. I have been hunting quite a bit in the past, mostly with my bow and with assorted rifles and shotguns lent to me by family and friends. Also been playing paintball for years.
That being said this will be my first rifle so I'm looking at the Weatherby Vanguard Stainless in 7mm Rem. Mag. since it looks to be a well made rifle that will last me for years. For optics I'm looking at the Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x50mm in Matte with Leupold Dot. I appreciate any input.
Old 11-29-2004, 12:34 PM

Default RE: Howa or Weatherby Vanguard Stainless?

One more thing, since I'm looking at a common caliber, would I be able to use any ammo manufacturer? I have read that Weatherby mandates the use of proprietary ammo, or is that only in the Weatherby designations and that would not apply to the 7mm Rem. Mag.?
Old 11-29-2004, 12:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would buy whichever is lower priced as I will not pay extra to have another name stamped on the same product.As far as scopes are concerned ,I would go with the 40mm lens as the 50 is not required and you must mount it higher which makes it harder to obtain proper cheek positioning on the stock.As far as ammunition is concerned you can use any ammunition designated 7mm rem mag in a 7mm remmag rifle reguardless of the manufacturer.
Old 11-29-2004, 01:31 PM

Info is greatly appreciated!
What about getting them serviced if anything happens? Wouldn't the Weatherby be easier to service?
As for the scope, doesn't the 50mm let in more light? That's why I was looking at it since it was recommended to me.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

The 50mm does transmit more light if everything else is equal.However the quality and amount of lens coatings are just as important in light transmission.If you really want more light transmission you might consider a different scope from a different manufacturer such as the ziess conquest 3x9x40.It is made in America,is brighter ,yet can be mounted in lower mounts and the cost is about the same as a leupold vxiii.I use the swarovski 3x10x42 which is as bright as the leupold 3.5x10x50 as well as being lighter and more compact, but of course the cost is higher.For most situations though any quality scope with a 40mm lens will work fine.As far as service on the rifle is concerned,it is extremely unlikely that you will need any and since both rifles are made in japan the time required to do any work if it was necessary,would be similar.If you want to spend the extra money to say that you have a weatherby,that is your business,but you will still have the same rifle.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

According to the "Weatherby 2004 Cataloge" "Vanguard Rifles Are The Only production rifle that come with a factory-shot target with a three shot group giving you the assurance of accuracy. All Vanguard rifles are guarenteed to shoot 1 1/2" or better 3 shot group at 100 yds. from a cold barrel when used with premium (non-Weatherby calibers) or Weatherby factory ammunition."

Good luck.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:09 PM

Yes, it does come with a shot target which I thought was pretty nifty.

stubblejumper, I think you're missing my point. I have no loyalty whatsoever to any particular rifle manufacturer. What I do see is that the Howa, by means of simply slapping on the Weatherby name all of a sudden has a much better support structure. If I were to have issues with the Howa I wouldn't even know where to start, other than contacting the company that imports them (Legacy Sports International, if not mistaken). I tried tracking down the Howa company and found a badly made website with no info at all, not very confidence inspiring.

I'm starting to see it this way: I get DSL from Earthlink whom subleases their lines from BellSouth. When I had BellSouth they never helped me with issues. Because I now have Earthlink, BellSouth has a SLA (Service Level Agreement) with Earthlink so they respond to their calls and actually get things done. All I have to do is call Earthlink.

So...even though I realize it's the same rifle made by Howa, if I call Weatherby they'll take care of it much sooner (most likely). I think that's worth $50-100 for the peace of mind. It's not about "I have a such and such". I could care less as long as the quality is good and I can put my hits where I want them.

If you think I'm after a name, realize that I first came on here looking at a Remington Model 710 and after reading all the reviews/threads is when I decided against that and started looking at the Howa/Weatherby.

I do appreciate everyone's input though, thanks!
Old 11-29-2004, 11:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Speedgator,
I see your point. Around here nobody stocks Howa, in fact I have never held one in my hands and I routinely visit many gun shops as I travel quite a bit on business. I realize that the vangaurd is made by Howa, I consider that a good thing as they have a good reputation but most shops have weatherbys on the rack. I think Weatherby would likely stand behind thier products, Howa based or Mark V. Have you considered a Tikka T3? Very good value for the money.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:52 AM

TerryM, funny you should mention it. I just found these reviews: http://www.chuckhawks.com/rugged_vs_refined.htm and http://www.chuckhawks.com/wby_vanguard_syn.htm
And I'm looking closely at it.
Do you have experience with each?
Old 11-30-2004, 12:20 PM

The Tikka T3 Lite Stainless looks very appealing right now. However, using it with 7mm Rem Mag, would it be too light? It's around a pound difference between the Weatherby and the Tikka; 7.75lbs and 6 3/8 lbs, respectively. Opinions, experiences?

Quick Reply: Howa/Weatherby Vanguard Stainless or Tikka T3 Lite Stainless?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.