Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Power Points or Core Lokt's >

Power Points or Core Lokt's

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Power Points or Core Lokt's

Old 11-21-2004, 04:32 PM

Default Power Points or Core Lokt's

Im shootin a 30-06(150 grain) and a 300 win mag(180 grain) at texas whitetail at ranges from 30-250 yards. If the bullets were all to shoot with the same accuracy out of my rifle which should i chose. If anyone has any suggestions on different bullet weights feel free to adivse. Thanks.
Old 11-21-2004, 06:54 PM

Default RE: Power Points or Core Lokt's

I would pick the Power Points mainly because I can't stand Core-Lokt's. I've never liked and will not shoot any Remington ammo.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

You said to neglect the accuracy, which I really can't, but they're basically equal in "killing performance"...just based on BULLET performance.

Now, when you talk about cartridge performance, there's a big difference. I have never had a rifle that liked Remington Core-lokts, while most of my rifles shoot ALL winchester ammo pretty well, if not VERY well....I've also had 5-6 Fail to fires or even more dangerous delayed fires from core-lokts, problems that I've never had with any other ammo in the past (maybe ONE of either with a certain type in a thousand rounds).

The accuracy was enough for to convince me not to use Remingtons anyway...6" at 100yrds from a rifle that will print snowmen out to 200 is unacceptable.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:32 PM
Spike

I shoot core lokt's out of my .300 sav, 30-06, and .35 rem and have had great luck and accuracy with them. Power points are a close second. Fedral is the only ammo I have ever had any trouble with.
Old 11-21-2004, 08:36 PM

it does depend on which my rifle prefers but in the event that the two bullets groups are fairly close i just wanted to know which would be better
Old 11-21-2004, 11:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would go with a Rem. Core Lokt's they killed deer for me before I handloaded. Good luck.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

asfar as terminal performance between the two I can't say one is better then the other Ive killed many deer and coyotes with core lokts and seen many deer and coyotes killed with power points. all I can say is both will do their job and thats kill whatever it hits. really theres is no difference between the two both are lead with a copper jacket the only factor that would play a roll on which one i would choose is which ever one gave the best accuracy in my rifle, in my case it was core lokts. both winchester and remington factory ammo asfar as clean burning propellents they are about the same and pretty clean but that federal classic ammo is about the dirtiest burning ammo ever I'v shot alot of different military surplus ammo that seemed cleaner then federal ammo.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:43 AM

Let's see, Winchester ammo or Remington? Oh heck, here we go again. Go Federal.
(Chevy vs. Ford vs. Dodge vs. Toyota vs. ......)
Seriously, for whitetail, pick whatever shoots best in your particular rifle. And don't worry about some of the comments ref. problem ammo, etc. Every manufacturer has turned out some junk now and then. Funny though, in nearly thirty years I've never run into it. And I've used Federal, Remington, Winchester, Hornady, Black Hills, etc.
Maybe I'm lucky I guess.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's me Virginia. I'm 39 and I've shot a ton of shells including Remington, Federal, Winchester and Hornady. I generally let my rifles tell me what they like best. But, in all those years at the range and in the woods I have never had a cartridge snap or misfire. Not saying it doesn't happen but if it was a consistently bad problem with one company verses the others then you can bet your a$$ ,with the number of shells I fire a year, I would have noticed it by now.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

You will have to shoot both to find out which shoots best from your rifle. However, if accuracy is no factor, be advised that neither of those two choices is superior for shooting Texas whitetails - a .308" 180-grain bullet has all the performance and MORE for such uses. personally, I'd use a 150 or 165 grain bullet on those small deer out there.

Of the two, the Corelokt is a controlled-expansion bullet and the Power-Point is a plain-jane cup-and-draw softpoint. The Corelokt will provide deeper penetration on heavy game than the Power Point, if both are the same weight and strike identical spots on game at identical velocities. I have nevere used either type in factory ammo, 'cause I don't use factory ammo. But I have had some EXCELLENT ACCURACY from Corelokt bullets in hadloaded ammo, in both .30 caliber and 7mm cartridges. The Corelokt is an excellent bullet, and the new bonded core Corelokts are bound to be as good as any other premium, bonded-core bullet.

Quick Reply: Power Points or Core Lokt's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.