Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Marlin Slugmaster >

Marlin Slugmaster

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Marlin Slugmaster

Old 11-14-2004, 01:53 PM

Default Marlin Slugmaster

Anybody on here have a Marlin Slugmaster?
Old 11-15-2004, 03:16 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Marlin Slugmaster

Yes
Old 11-15-2004, 09:17 AM

Do you ever have trouble reloading? I shoot 3 inch and every time i try to cock one in the chamer it wont go up in the chamber. Do you shoot 3 inch or 2 3/4 Do you ever have this problem?
Old 11-15-2004, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Marlin Model 512. I have one, killed a nice doe with it yesterday. I shoot Winchester 2 3/4" Sabots, the BRI ones. Shoots awesome.
Old 11-15-2004, 05:18 PM
Typical Buck

Yes some of the clips don't feed properly a couple friends have the same problem as you,my fathers feeds great.I sold mine when i found a Browning Abolt.What a difference,action is smooth and trigger is great!
Old 11-15-2004, 05:25 PM

Would I have to buy a new clip for it to feed properly?
Old 11-15-2004, 05:27 PM

i also found this searching on the internet
Marlin 512 Slugmaster
Yes, Browning might be getting the most attention but it was not the first production bolt-action gun available with a rifled barrel. That distinction went to the Marlin Model 512 Slugmaster, which was first produced in 1994. Modeled after the company’s long-standing Model 55 models, the most famous of which is the 36-inch barreled Goose Gun, the 512 features a 21-inch fully rifled (one turn in 28 inches) barrel and two-shot detachable-box magazine with rifle sights.

The 8.5-pound gun is built on a checkered birch stock. The 512 is actually a close cousin to the Model 55S (for slug) that Marlin marketed in the 1960s, which featured a 24-inch smoothbore barrel, rifle sights and sling swivels.

Like the Mossberg, the Marlin features a shotgun bolt, not a beefed-up rifle bolt. Neither bolt is front-locking, rather leaving the bolt handle to cam into a receiver slot and lock the action. The two Connecticut-based companies are building for today’s slug shooter rather than the future when handloading of slugs may become more popular and a stronger lockup a necessity.

Today the root of the bolt handle certainly provides sufficient locking strength since shotgun chamber pressure levels barely reach one-quarter of that of a high powered rifle, which must be front-locked.

The Marlin bolt is mounted well forward, Mannlicher style, and notches in a slot in the receiver top, necessitating a side scope mount (Weaver 10M). A heavy recoil lug is set between the receiver and barrel into a recess in the stock.

If you are a fan of the 3-inch slug be advised that 1.) not all 3-inch slugs are the same length and 2.) the Marlin clip can’t handle the longest 3-incher, the Winchester, which tends hang up on the front edge of the magazine and not align with the chamber. To its credit, Marlin warns of this in its owners manual.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:44 AM
Typical Buck

I found 2 3/4" lightfields shot great from mine and my fathers,I am using Federal Barnes expanders 2 3/4" 3/4 oz. 1900 fps in my Browning Abolt,they shoot great and are really reaching out there!You may want to feed some of those through it and see how they feed and shoot.The Federals will out preform the 3" er's you are shooting and do so with less recoil.
Old 11-16-2004, 10:18 AM

I just bought some 2 3/4 Federal Hydra-shok Sabot Slug Hp's and they fixed my jamming problem. You think ill have to adjust my scope any since i was shooting 3 inchers?
Old 11-16-2004, 10:44 AM
Typical Buck

I wish they still made this gun. Id like to have one. or the mossberg bolt slug gun.

Quick Reply: Marlin Slugmaster

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.