Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Scope fogging up!!! >

Scope fogging up!!!

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Scope fogging up!!!

Old 09-30-2004, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

Default Scope fogging up!!!

Hey all! I put a B & L Elite 3000 (3-9x40) scope on my 300WM Sako 75 Hunter mainly for target shooting but I also like to use this rifle for deer hunting. Problem is, here in Saskatchewan, it's getting chilly by the time rifle season opens up and the scope keeps fogging up on me. This happens mainly when I use the scope for spotting. After it fogs up it takes a while (in the cold weather) to clear up so I'm basically standing there like an idiot, deer hunting and hoping no deer shows up cause I can't shoot! [:@]

I was thinking of putting this scope on one of my 22's and buying a new one for my Sako but is there anything I can apply to the lens' without damaging the lens coatings? Does anyone else have this problem whilst hunting in cold temperatures, and if so, how do you recitfy it? Thanks!!!
Old 09-30-2004, 09:52 AM

Default RE: Scope fogging up!!!

When I hunt in colder weather I keep the gun out of the cabin at night so it is less likely to give me any trouble during my hunt. Just a thought.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

If its fogging up on the inside I would send it back to Bushnell. They should fix it.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

If the scope is conditioned to the temperature unless you breath directly onto it, it should not fog. I leave my gun outside when I stop at the truck for a snack or something, if moving location by vehicle I leave the heat off inside the truck to limit fogging of optics and always keep my flip up scope covers open so the lens surface is exposed to the air. Their are anti fog sprays but I am not sure if they would harm the coating or not, I'd email bushnell for some suggestions. When I play hockey I use lemon dish soap or spit on my visor which helps with fogging but I am not sure this would be a good practice with scopes or binos either.

Best of luck.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

If its fogging up on the inside I would send it back to Bushnell. They should fix it.
Inside our outside, it's waranteed. If it is outside, though, and you don't want to send it back, you can buy some anti-fog stuff to fix it yourself.
Old 09-30-2004, 10:36 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the tips, folks!

Even when it's conditioned to the cold weather it still fogs up on me so I'm not sure what the problem is. I don't think there's many people having the same problem cause when I asked my tech about it he was kind of puzzled and just said, "Well, don't breath on it!". lol, A classic piece of advice from an old school fella.

I'll contact Bausch & Lomb and see what they have to say about it.
Old 09-30-2004, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can either buy a different scope, or try to breathe through your nose.

I had a bad problem with my scopes fogging up (even LEUP's!!!) when I first started shooting. I wasn't huffing, but I was breathing through my mouth, so it all went right up on the scope.

I started breathing through my nose, my shooting improved and my scopes quit fogging up. I also typically wear a facemask or bandana worn "bandit style" during the cold winters, this helps and you can breath any way you want. Just make sure it's tight over the top of your nose so you don't get air coming out through the eye holes.

Almost all scopes will fog up when you first take them outside, or when you first bring them inside. ABSOLUTELY NEVER PUT A COLD GUN IN A CASE!! It's asking for rust, put it in the case, bring it inside and don't let it air out, you're going to get terrible condensation on your gun.
Old 09-30-2004, 12:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not really related, but hey, I'll share anyway. I wear glasses, and frequently, the sweat on my brow causes them to fog up. I have to fanangle them and my hat to make it stop. I'm sure that with 3+ inches of eye relief, this is not a problem for scopes. But it's still a problem.[&:]
Old 09-30-2004, 02:20 PM

If the gas has leaked out and the scope is fogging inside, B&L will repair or replace the scope free. I had an old B&L Balvar that I fell down with, while hunting. As luck would have it, the scope bashed against a rock and got an ugly dent. After range testing the scope was still holding zero fine, but that ugly dent bothered me, so after hunting season I sent the scope back for repairs. B&L said that they no longer made parts for that scope, but would send me a new scope of like quality FREE. I opted to pay an extra $150 for a 4000 model 3-12x40
Old 10-01-2004, 01:30 AM

there is very little you can do to keep the outside from fogging.there are some things you can use that will help.one is a spray called "parkers perfect".it works as good as any of the others.another is a anti fog paste like stuff. just wipe it on and wipe it off.it works but not for long.one thing i have tried that helps a great deal is wrapping a scarf around and over my mouth. it prevents you from breathing directly onto the scope

Quick Reply: Scope fogging up!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.