Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 AR in Ont?Choice of gun with $14,500 limit >

AR in Ont?Choice of gun with $14,500 limit

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

AR in Ont?Choice of gun with $14,500 limit

Old 08-11-2004, 05:33 PM

Default AR in Ont?Choice of gun with $14,500 limit

hey all ive been saving for a new gun for a while now but it turns out i have alot more then i need for the savage12fv i wanted...

so i have around $14,500 in da bank right now (dam good for an 18 year old i think) cuz i live at home still...

so im just gonna say go big or go home and get a real good gun and i was thinkin bout an AR. seems like eevery pic of one i see i just love it and want one real bad. so wut r the best ar's and which is the cheapest/expensive?

can i even get an ar in ontario? never seen one in a store...

if i couldnt get one, which rifle would u guys get if u had that much saved? lets just say the limit is...$1,500 scope not included? and also which gun u would get if u had a $14,500 limit???

thx guys

ch312
Old 08-12-2004, 12:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: AR in Ont?Choice of gun with $14,500 limit

Well, if you're 18 years old, have no debt, and have $14,500 (Canadian I'll assume, which is about $100 U.S.D. right? **KIDDING**), then you're WAY ahead of the ball game compared to most people your age. If I were you, knowing what I know now, I'd resist the urge to blow that money on a super tricked out rifle and use it to invest in your future.

If I were you I'd buy the Savage you've been wanting, put decent glass on it, and take the rest of the money and use it smartly to benefit your future.

You could:

-Invest in the stock market for your retirement. Don't put it off, the earlier you start the harder that money can work to make you more money.

-Go to college.

-Put a down payment on your first home so you can move out of your folks place.

You've got lots of time to buy expensive guns later after you establish yourself. Spend the money you have now wisely.

Mike
Old 08-12-2004, 01:10 AM
Fork Horn

driftrider he's not going to hurt anything spending a grand. Besides he earned that dough and young men in the woods or range is a lot better than causing mischief. He could legitimatly use it on furbearers to make even more money. Son besides spending a little getting an english lesson on your keyboard skills (wink) I'd buy a Bushmaster and a reloading hand press and sit on the rest of your loot for awhile. Talk with your folks about investing in a small landscaping business. You could do that on less than a third of your current capital and still be able to sell the equipment after using it. This way you could build up a proper bankroll of 3 or 4 times what you have now in order to then get into another higher stakes business for real lifetime money. Landscape for 2 or 3 years while you're looking around for another more lucrative opportunity and get out and shoot your AR.
Old 08-12-2004, 04:58 AM

I am with soonershooter on all ends. You can't take it all with you, so spend a little and have some fun. Not trying to continue the "Investment and life planning" forum but I would put the rest of the money in a safe place for later. I handled M-16 (A2's) for years, and have taught many shooters their primary marksmanship skills on the same rifle. Have observed and participated in many matches where I see Bushmaster plastered all over the place, and I happen to own two of them myself. The qualityand accuracy far exceeds the M-16 A2 without a doubt (too bad it doesn't have the burst option though). I paid around $1500 (US) for my match Bushmaster and maybe $700 (US) for their copy of the A-4 shorty carbine with a free floated heavy barrel. It is unfortunate what has taken place in your country, your right to own firearms is heavily restricted for no good reason. Not sure exactly what the laws dicitate as far as the AR. If I had a basic hunting rifle, I would buy the AR, accurate, dependiable, and plain fun to shoot.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Once he blows $1,500 on the first gun, it won't be enough. Guns are like cocaine.

Buy the Savage......put one hell of a scope on it....put the rest in a safe place.

BUT, to answer your question....If I had to blow a chunk of cash on a gun, it would probably be a LONG range varmint rifle of some kind. I thought about a 40-X until I shot one. Not impressed.

Maybe I'd buy a fancy 3-barrel Drilling or something.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:32 AM

Nothing wrong with an addictive personality. He's 18 let him enjoy himself, he has the rest of his life to scrooge his money away. Canadian; you may want to save a little of the money, one day you will need a house to put all of your guns in!
Old 08-12-2004, 08:36 AM

If you can have an AR in Canada, there are several custom gun makers offering super accurate ARs. Check Clark Custom Guns, Wilson Combat, and Les Baer. Websites are easy to find and all advertise in various gun mags. All three of these are guaranteeing 1/2 M.O.A. Prices are ranging from $1300 to $2500. Another option is the Colt Accurized Rifle around $1200. Get a flattop and make sure it has a good trigger. All of this is assuming you want a long range shooter and not just a pop can plinker. The beauty of an AR though is for about $350 you can put a 16" upper on it for burning ammo on the plinking range.

If you can't have an AR, look at the tactical bolt actions like the Rem. 700 PSS or the Savage tactical.

Personally though, with $1500 to spend, I would buy the Savage in .308 for a long range rifle and a lesser expensive AR for a ammo eating fun gun.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

id have my dream gun built.....a custom mauser......id do alot of research to pick my caliber of choice first......something for long range shooting...maybe likea 25-06 or something so i can shoot varmint and deer....and have a tack driver off the bench.......but i wouldnt buy a facotry rifle.......
Old 08-12-2004, 11:04 AM

I'd buy a transferable HK MP5 for about 13K and spend the rest on ammo. I would shoot all the ammo, probably buy some more and shoot that, then I would clean the gun up and sell it for $15K or so because the prices would have gone up that much in the time it took ot shoot that ammo (about a week).

Maybe I would buy 4 transferable M-10's, shoot one...then wait a few months and sell the other three for the $4000 a pop.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:25 PM
Fork Horn

CH312:

You cannot own a full auto firearm in Canada (unless you were grandfathered in, so that won't be you at 18).

There are a great number of semi-auto versions of full auto guns available. If they are converted full autos I believe they are prohibited as well, but I think there are some that are restricted (must only be fired at gun clubs) only.

You may want to look in at www.canadiangunnutz.com . there are a lot of guys there who are really into black rifles, and could advise you.

I know Marstar at www.marstar.ca has Chinese made (Norinco) semi-auto versions of the M14 (their model M305) that costs only $399. You could then put out all the loons you want tricking it up to look cool. That should eat into your $14,500.

Lever Arms has several AR type guns on their site at www.leverarms.com (bushmaster, Norinco M311, AR 15) but I don't know what their status is as far as possession and use are concerned.

Rick

Quick Reply: AR in Ont?Choice of gun with $14,500 limit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.