Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Scope for my new Savage 93R17-FVSS .17 hmr?? >

Scope for my new Savage 93R17-FVSS .17 hmr??

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Scope for my new Savage 93R17-FVSS .17 hmr??

Old 08-10-2004, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Scope for my new Savage 93R17-FVSS .17 hmr??

So I just ordered a brand new Savage 93R17-FVSS. It should be here in a week. In the mean time, I am actively looking for a scope. I am on a tight budget for this scope, since my goal is to stay under $300 total on this gun. I am looking at spending $100 or less on this scope. I would rather get a less expensive scope now and still have money for the trigger job in a few months.

The guns is the stainless/synthetic model, so I am most interested in silver scopes that would match, and I want something with at least 12 power. I guess I am looking at a 4x12 or something similar.

Does anyone have experience with the BSA "Sweet 17" scope? They supposedly have a yardage compensation system specifically for the .17 HMR, so your always dead on out to 200 yards with the twist of a knob.

Any other suggestions?
Old 08-10-2004, 08:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scope for my new Savage 93R17-FVSS .17 hmr??

Rick James...Sorry to hear of your untimely death.

For $100, I like the Bushnell Banner 4-12X. I've had great luck with all the Bushnell's I've had, and I think the Elite is one of the best scopes made today.

Personally, I don't like BSA anything. Just my experience, though.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rick James...Sorry to hear of your untimely death.
lol....

Thanks for the info. I will probably stay away from the BSA then unless a lot of people have had luck with them.

Bump!
Old 08-10-2004, 09:19 PM

Pro life gave some good advice...

I would add the Simmons WTC or 44Mag

unfortunately as I read the other criteria you mention the scope body color...I don't think either is availible in silver. Some other things to look for, target turrets or field turrets are nice, AO for ranging, positive lock optic ring.

BSA isn't bad but they vary greatly scope to scope in terms of quality.
Sometimes it's best to go to a local dealer anc check different scopes out.

Also note you will want make sure your scope is parallex adjusted for sorter ranges like 50 yards, if you shoot anything like I do. I'll take game from 50 to about 150 with my .17HMR
Old 08-10-2004, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

The scopes I am looking at so far are the Simmons and the Bushnell.
Old 08-11-2004, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rick, I have the exact same rifle. I had the same idea on getting a silver scope to complement the overall look of the rifle. I started with the Bushnell Trophy silver 3-9x 40mm and it looked good on the rifle, but I didn’t find that it had enough magnification for the 17HMR.
I was looking for another silver scope and couldn’t really find anything so I decided to go with the Bushnell Trophy matte black 6-18 x 40mm AO. This scope is very nice and and I’m happy with my choice although I haven’t taken it to the range yet. I had also considered the Simmons varmint 6.5-20 x 40, Bushnell Legend 5-15 x40mm or Bushnell Banner Dusk and Dawn 6-24 x 40AO. I ended up with the Trophy because I was very impressed with the optics on how clear and bright it was on my Trophy silver 3-9 that I had originally purchased. Good luck...
Old 08-11-2004, 02:03 PM

I am using the BSA Platinum 6x24 44 with the target dot recticle. This is the first BSA I have tested, you can pick one up on the net for $100 or less. The scope adjustments track well, the glass is fairly clear (better than some worse than others), the paralax adjusts for close range shooting. It is a low middle end scope, I have no raves or major complaints about it. Out of 10 I would rate it a 5 along with Simmons, Tasco, and the lower end Bushnells. I never rated any other BSA model and you will find among almost any scope manufacturer that quality varies greatly between models. If anyone would like a challanging rimfire target game send me an e-mail. The game was created to honor Carlos Hathcock the famous Marine sniper. It is a challange and will help even advanced shooters improve their groups. Good luck.
Old 08-11-2004, 07:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys, thanks for the advice. After reading quite a bit on rimfirecentral.com I found some awesome reviews on the Simmons ATV 4.5x14x40 AO package. I picked one up on ebay for a total of $84.99 shipped to my door, I was too lazy to wait around and bid on one for less but lots of them are going for as low as $70 shipped on there. Can't wait to get the gun and scope dialed in, hopefully it will all be here by mid next week so the following weekend I can shoot some chucks.